History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8736 / 50°52'24"N

Longitude: 0.0104 / 0°0'37"E

OS Eastings: 541545

OS Northings: 110154

OS Grid: TQ415101

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.3G0

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.MVL

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1353072

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293228

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: St John sub-Castro, Lewes

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

TQ 4110 SE LEWES HIGH STREET
10/246 (north side)

25.2.52 Town Hall

GV II

Inn, now Town Hall. C14, rebuilt above ground in the later C18, remodelled
in 1893 by Samuel Denman in an eclectic Queen Anne - Baroque style. Red brick
with much applied red brick and terracotta decoration. Rusticated pilaster
order on ground floor with full entablature to rusticated first floor with
raised panels around windows. Heavy entablature with swags in frieze of centre
and flutings over windows, to first floor. Moulded cornice over second floor
to parapet with recessed blank arched panels. Central aedicular feature over
centre, with curved supports and triangular pediment over. Parapet hides slate
roof with end stacks. 3 storeys; 8 bays, arranged 2 - 3 - 3, the central 3
projecting and narrower. Sashes throughout, those on ground and first floors
without glazing bare. Single thermal window in centre of second floor and tall
window with arched glazing directly below. Other windows all with cornice-
hoods, those flanking centre with triangular pediments also. Arched window
surrounds on ground floor, except to left of centre with plain surrounds.
Arch mouldings in striped brick and stone with keystones carved as masks.
Arches of centre rise from antae which carry bracket pilasters to heavy Doric
entablature with cast-iron lamp holder over entrance. Paired half-glazed doors
in centre. Half-glazed door on second bay from right. Interior: Undercroft
of C14 with arch and tunnel-vault. Staircase: formerly at Slaugham Place, c.1620,
installed in the Inn during the later C18. Almost certainly not in its original
form, it is now an Imperial with a long first flight. High newel posts,
tapering balusters with capitals, much figural carving. The later C19 and
early C20 front of the Town Hall and Corn Exchange can also seen in Fisher
Street.


Listing NGR: TQ4154510154

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.