History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8737 / 50°52'25"N

Longitude: 0.0111 / 0°0'39"E

OS Eastings: 541591

OS Northings: 110170

OS Grid: TQ415101

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.3MG

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.N3H

Entry Name: Market Tower

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1353073

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293232

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: St John sub-Castro, Lewes

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

TQ 4110 SE LEWES HIGH STREET
10/250 (north side)

25.2.52 Market Tower

GV II

Market tower. 1792. Red and brown brick with stone bands and window dressings.
Plat bands over each floor on tower and crenellated parapet. 4 storey tower
with lower and narrower 2 storey side wings. Diagonal buttresses to first and
second floors of tower, cut back in squinches at their bases. Round-headed
window with Y-tracery at third floor level with clock below on second floor and
2 quatrefoil windows on first floor with swagged crest above and plaque below.
Round-arched gateway on ground-floor with stone key and impost-blocks. 2
storey, single window wings with crow-stepped gables. Terracotta-dressed
3-light windows with cusped arched lights. The Town Bell 'Gabriel', 'new
cast in 1555' and originally hung in the tower of the old Church of St Nicholas
which stood on the site of the war memorial (q.v.), was removed on the
demolition of the tower in 1761 and placed in the new tower in 1792. The
crest, of terracotta, shows the Town Arms, and has been attributed to Jonathan
Harmer of Heathfield.


Listing NGR: TQ4159110170

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.