This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7647 / 50°45'52"N
Longitude: 0.2716 / 0°16'17"E
OS Eastings: 560294
OS Northings: 98582
OS Grid: TV602985
Mapcode National: GBR MV7.X2F
Mapcode Global: FRA C7G2.1NQ
Entry Name: Compton Place
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353113
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293552
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Meads
Built-Up Area: Eastbourne
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Eastbourne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/02/2015
TV 6098 7/30
COMPTON PLACE ROAD,
The property of the Duke of Devonshire. The present house was built in 1726 for Sir Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington (c1674-1743), on the site of a Jacobean house which was remodelled by the architect Colen Campbell (1676-1729). Extensively altered and stuccoed circa 1800 for Lord George Cavendish (1754-1834 - later 1st Earl of Burlington of the second creation). It is an E shaped building consisting of a centre portion and 2 projecting wings. Originally red brick, stuccoed in the early C19. 2 storeys and attic. Cornice and parapet. Slate roof with lead ridges. The North front has 9 windows and 6 dormers; a large 3 light sash window in the centre of the 1st floor and the same on the ground floor of the wings; and a large porch with 4 Doric columns and an iron balcony above. The South or garden front has 13 windows, a slight projection at each end and a bay of 3 windows in the centre. This is a canted bay with an iron balcony round it on the 1st floor and a curved bay on the ground floor with 4 Doric columns supporting the entablature - 1 between each window. The interior of the house has good plaster work on the walls, also on a ceiling in 1 of the bedrooms, 5 chimney pieces, doorcases, staircase etc. See H Avray Tipping's article in "English Country Homes, Period 5". To the East of the house is the office wing built of cobbles which is not of any distinction and adjoining it a 2nd set of stables and coach-houses probably added by Lord George Cavendish in the early C19.
Listing NGR: TV6029498582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings