This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8553 / 50°51'19"N
Longitude: 0.5763 / 0°34'34"E
OS Eastings: 581428
OS Northings: 109365
OS Grid: TQ814093
Mapcode National: GBR PXB.8HX
Mapcode Global: FRA D63V.0C9
Entry Name: 14, Claremont
Listing Date: 15 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294172
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN34
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Hastings
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hastings Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 8109 SW
Printing works and shop. Upper floors converted to health club. Adjoins and
integral with the Brassey Institute (q.v.) as part of Claremont Buildings (north
side). 1878-80. W L Vernon for Thomas Brassey, M.P. in a style derived from C16
North European sources. Red brick with stone details, timber framing, sgaffitto
and ceramic tile decoration, tiled roof. Four storeys and attic with a half hipped
dormer to front. Ground floor shopfront: glazed timber frame (6x4 panes) with
top panes infilled. Double doorway to lobby and stairs to left, arched doorway
to shop in canted angle at corner with side lane to right. Left hand doorway and
shopfront are framed by panelled pilasters with foliage capitals supporting a fascia
panel with black lettering on gilded glass inscribed OBSERVER AND ADVERTISER OFFICES.
Pilaster to left of doorway decorated with polychrome ceramic tiling with panel
inscribed PARSONS STEAM PRINTING WORKS. Slender cast iron column with capital
to right of doorway. Double doors to lobby faced with diagonal boarding. Above
canted doorway to shop angle supported by moulded stone corbelling. Three window
front to second and third storeys with metal framed casements inset in three tall
recesses each with a moulded stone arched head above the third storey windows.
Inset stone heads above the second storey windows. Three painted spandrel panels
between windows in each recess with illustrations of printing processes in side
panels and bust of Caxton in central pane inscribed W.C 1477. Projecting from
the fourth storey a wide timber framed oriel supported on a deep cove with curved
brackets on carved corbels at either end. Cove decorated in red and buff: foliage
pattern with three roundels inscribed in sequence GUTTENBERG, CAXTON, WALTER.
Two groups of three sashes and single sidelight sashes in the framing of the oriel.
The attic dormer has two sashes, coved eaves cornice and pierced barge-boards.
Interior. Ceramic tile paving to lobby with inscription, original staircase.
Listing NGR: TQ8142809365
Other nearby listed buildings