This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8624 / 50°51'44"N
Longitude: 0.2137 / 0°12'49"E
OS Eastings: 555888
OS Northings: 109320
OS Grid: TQ558093
Mapcode National: GBR MT0.T0F
Mapcode Global: FRA C6BT.H2V
Entry Name: Michelham Priory
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353289
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294964
Location: Arlington, Wealden, East Sussex, BN27
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Arlington
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Upper Dicker Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
ARLINGTON MILTON HIDE
TQ 50 NE 18/502 13.10.52 Michelham Priory
A Priory for Augustinian Canons, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was founded
here by Gilbert de Aquila in 1229. It was dissolved in 1536. Edward I spent
the night of the 14th September, 1302 here. The surviving building is T-shaped,
the east and north wings dating from the C13, the west wing from the C16 after
the Dissolution. The building is of stone, the east wing being sandstone.
Tiled roof. Two stoeys and attic, except the north wing which has 3 storeys
and attic. The south front has 9 windows and 6 modern dormers. Two chimney
breasts, one extending down to the ground, the other corbelled out above the
ground floor with a pointed doorway below this. Casement windows with stone
mullions and dripstones, those in the east wing being modern. This wing was
the Refectory. Its south face has 3 blocked pointed arches at first floor
level and on the ground floor. One similar archway and one four-centred doorway.
Its north face has 4 blocked pointed archways together on the ground floor,
2 with slender shafts having foliated capitals and deeply chamfered heads.
These were the Lavatory.
The north wing, which originally extended further north and has been cut off,
was the Prior's Lodging. It has a blocked pointed archway on the ground floor
and 3 similar window openings above containing modern windows. The ground
floor room which it contains is a vaulted under-croft. Some masonry further
north shows the point to which this wing extended. The north face of the west
wing has larger windows and a stone dormer.
Articles in the Sussex County Magazine Vol 2, p 2, in the Sussex Archaeological
Society's Collections Vols 6, p 129 and 67 p 1 and in Country Life of
23rd March 1935.
Listing NGR: TQ5589309322
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings