This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9408 / 50°56'26"N
Longitude: 0.2886 / 0°17'19"E
OS Eastings: 560888
OS Northings: 118196
OS Grid: TQ608181
Mapcode National: GBR MS4.V3J
Mapcode Global: FRA C6HM.88L
Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295679
Location: Warbleton, Wealden, East Sussex, TN21
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Warbleton
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Warbleton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 61 NW
The Parish Church of St Mary
Parish church. Nave and chancel C13, north chapel and south porch C14, tower C15, vestry C19. Built of sandstone rubble, the nave and chancel cement rendered to south side, with tiled roof.
West tower C15 in four stages with corner buttress and octagonal corner turret. Crenellated parapet with band with grotesque waterspouts. Arched doorcase with drip moulding below. Second stage has elaborate traceried window with cinque-foils and central quatrefoil to west. Third stage has slit windows and bell stage has open trefoliated openings with wooden louvres.
C13 four bay nave has to south two large arched headed windows double cinquefoiled ogee heads with quatrefoils above and smaller trefoil headed windows to west. Gabled south porch with arched head and dripmoulding and buttresses and C18 double hinged door. C13 chancel has cambered wave pattern to rendering. Westernmost window to a plain lancet, broken at the base by a later trefoil window, then an arched doorcase, in the centre is a large arched window with double ogee with cinquefoil below and trefoil above. Below this is an arched tomb recess. East window is a large elaborate traceried window with four cinquefoil lights in ogee arches. Chancel north wall has Perpendicular window with three cinquefoils and north chapel has an east window with three cinquefoil heads in an ogee arch. Blocked window to north. C15 north aisle has buttress and three windows with double cinquefoil-headed lights. C19 north west vestry built in matching sandstone with north window similar to those in north aisle and Caernarvon-arched doorcase.
Interior: Nave has six bay vaulted roof and C15 four bay north arcade of octagonal sandstone columns. C13 circular column font. West windows by Kempe 1882. Octagonal pulpit and Jacobean wall tablet to Thomas Roberts Esq. Piscina and remains of rood stairs. North aisle has large squire's pew dated 1722, supported on two square posts with wide flight of stairs with panelled baluster. Above it is a wall tablet to Marth Harcourt d.1796 consisting of a Lady in Grecian mourning dress leaning against an urn with tablet below and shield. Some original fragments of stained glass in a north aisle window. C14 wood and iron Parish chest. North chapel has original fragments of stained glass to east window and Rysbrack wall monument to Sir John Lade d.1740, of white, grey and variegated marble. This consists of a marble bust in a variegated marble architectural surround of open pediment with half columns and swags with Victorian scroll ornament under base together with brackets, tablet and shell mouldings. Chancel has ribbed waggon vaulted roof and plain piscina and sedilia. Brass to William Prestwick, Dean of St Mary's College, Hastings d.1436, figure 4ft 5 inches long under an ogee canopy. North wall has stone tablet to John and Anna Roberts c1722, a tablet with drapery, three cherubs' heads and armorial crest.
(See Pevsner B. O. E. Sussex. pps. 619 - 620)
Listing NGR: TQ6088818196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings