This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9855 / 50°59'7"N
Longitude: 0.1148 / 0°6'53"E
OS Eastings: 548537
OS Northings: 122810
OS Grid: TQ485228
Mapcode National: GBR LQ5.5V0
Mapcode Global: FRA C64H.SP0
Entry Name: Buxted Park
Listing Date: 26 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353483
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295918
Location: Buxted, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Buxted
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Buxted and Hadlow Down
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
BUXTED UCKFIELD ROAD
TQ 42 SE 26/628 26.11.53
This house was originally built by Thoma Medley circa 1722, altered in 1810.
Gutted by fire in 1940 and rebuilt without the second storey between 1940 and
1947. Many features from contemporary but demolished London houses were
incorporated in it. The second storey rebuilt and large wing added to the
north-east. The main front faces south. Three storeys. Nine windows. Red
brick, ground floor stuccoed and rusticated, with long and short stone quoins,
stone cornice, blocking course and window surroundings. Glazing bars intact.
The central portion of 5 window-bays projects with a portico of 6 Doric
columns. The east front of 7 windows has a similar portico of 4 columns
which was added in 1810 in the place of a recessed centre. The main entrance
was moved by Basil Ionides to the west and has a verniculated Ionic doorway
brought from West Harling Hall in Norfolk. The interior of the house has
many fine C18 features brought from contemporary but demolished houses in
London, of which the finest piece is the staircase, which came from
No 30 Old Burlington Street.
Lord Liverpool, Prime Minister from 1812-1827, lived here.
Listing NGR: TQ4853722810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings