History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jarvis Brook, Rotherfield Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rotherfield, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.0395 / 51°2'22"N

Longitude: 0.1994 / 0°11'57"E

OS Eastings: 554291

OS Northings: 128983

OS Grid: TQ542289

Mapcode National: GBR MQV.P7K

Mapcode Global: FRA C69C.PHH

Entry Name: Jarvis Brook, Rotherfield Hall

Listing Date: 26 November 1953

Last Amended: 22 May 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1353619

English Heritage Legacy ID: 296677

Location: Rotherfield, Wealden, East Sussex, TN6

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Rotherfield

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Rotherfield St Denys

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012

TQ 52 NW

(east side, off)
Jarvis Brook, Rotherfield Hall


House. Dated 1535, and C17; extended and altered 1897 by Francis Inigo Thomas
for Lindsay Lindsay-Hogg; later alterations. Earlier work in coursed squared
stone, C19 work in middlestone brought to course, all with ashlar dressings;
brick stacks; plain tile roofs. The earlier, northern, half was built up in
stages to form a square plan with central courtyard, the north and east ranges
possibly being the earliest parts; the south half built on in 1897 in matching
style. 2 storeys with attic; 11 bays, the 5 northern bays being the earliest.
Windows have hollow-moulded architraves and cyma-moulded hoodmoulds to those not
set below eaves; stone mullions, transoms to most windows; of 2 or 3 lights to
main elevations. East (entrance) elevation: central full-height gabled porch
dated "L/H/A 1897" having steps up to round-arched, nail-studded, panelled door
below canopy supported by columns and with ball-on-cushion finials; 3-light
window over has tripartite keystone in tympanum of segmental pediment. Bays 3
and 9 have embattled, 2-storey, projecting bays each with a 3-light
Perpendicular-style ground-floor window with decorative panel over, and a gabled
attic dormer, that to bay 9 with date "1669". Mullioned cellar windows to bays
8 and 10. Possibly added external stack between right-hand windows has offset
buttress and old brick chimney; other stacks to ridge, to rear roof line and at
left side. Ball finials to gables. Hipped roof. West (garden) elevation:
central full-height gabled porch with round archway to internal porch; "1535"
datestone and some 1-light windows at left end; at right end a wide opening with
central column to 1st-floor loggia; 2 hipped-roofed dormers. Right return:
three 4-light windows to each floor; blocked 3-light cellar windows to left and
right; 3 buttresses with offsets and stones inscribed: "SS/1666" to left,
"LLH/&/ALH" to centre, and "LH/1891" to right. Left return: on left, 3-bay
hipped-roofed projection with 3 rusticated round-arched openings to ground floor
and 2-columned loggia on 1st floor, the doors and windows with small-paned
glazing. Interior: principal features of interest are in the earlier, northern,
part. Ground floor: rear right-hand room has stone Tudor-arched fireplace with
leafy spandrels, "1535" datestone and similarly-dated moulded wooden cornice,
nail-studded panelled doors with raised lozenges and elaborately-decorated
architraves; similar fireplaces in hall and in front right-hand room, which also
has C16-style panelling; rear range at left end has old inglenook fireplace
(with panelled surround of 1908); C19 stair in C17 style. 1st floor: front
range has jewelled wall posts supporting large-scantling cross-beams with
stepped, cyma stops; right range has moulded stone Tudor-arched fireplate to
rear room; rear range has large-scantling chamfered beams with pyramidal, cyma
stops; left range has a corniced hollow-moulded 1-light window in formerly
external wall. Roof: collared principal rafter trusses; bridle-jointed rafters;
chamfered butt purlins staggered in right range, left end of rear range formerly
hipped; rafters formerly between rear range and left range removed, indicating
different building phases. The original house was built for the Fowles family,
who made their wealth in the iron industry. The architectural design of the
house is carried on in its garden setting also designed by Inigo Thomas, and
listed Grade II* in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special
Interest. Country Lift Vol 26 (August 14th 1909), pp. 228-236.
Architectural Review, Vol 34 (1913), pp 19-20.

Listing NGR: TQ5429128983

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.