History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Summerford Farmhouse, Numbers 1 and 2 Riverside Cottages and Dairy Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Withyham, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.1094 / 51°6'33"N

Longitude: 0.1386 / 0°8'19"E

OS Eastings: 549806

OS Northings: 136634

OS Grid: TQ498366

Mapcode National: GBR LNN.CWB

Mapcode Global: VHHQJ.CC4V

Entry Name: Summerford Farmhouse, Numbers 1 and 2 Riverside Cottages and Dairy Cottage

Listing Date: 31 December 1982

Last Amended: 15 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1353675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 296887

Location: Withyham, Wealden, East Sussex, TN7

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Withyham

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Withyham St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


5/136 Summerford Farmhouse,
Numbers 1 and 2
Riverside Cottages and 31.12.82 Dairy Cottage


Farmhouse and cottages. Dairy Cottage may be of C17 origin but it was altered in the C18 when nos 1 and 2 Riverside Cottages were added and Summerford Farmhouse is externally a later C19 building at the east end but may have an earlier core. Nos 1 and 2 Riverside Cottages have a front of red brick with grey headers but Dairy Cottage is tile hung above red brick, rear elevation of brick with tile-hanging. Tiled roof with 3 brick chimneystacks. Irregular fenestration, some casements in cambered architraves, some C20 casements. Two doorcases have tiled penticed heads. Summerford Farmhouse has two external chimneystacks to the rear which suggest an earlier origin. It has a brick ground floor and tile hung first floor with courses of curved tiles and tiled roof Two storeys; 3 windows. Projecting end gables with fretted bargeboards. Full-height 6-light bays. Gabled central porch.

Listing NGR: TQ4980636634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.