This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0139 / 51°0'49"N
Longitude: 0.0168 / 0°1'0"E
OS Eastings: 541566
OS Northings: 125766
OS Grid: TQ415257
Mapcode National: GBR KNB.C21
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XF.QB2
Entry Name: Sheffield Mill
Listing Date: 17 October 1990
Last Amended: 22 June 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353726
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297120
Location: Fletching, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Fletching
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Fletching St Andrew and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
In the entry for;
TQ 42 NW FLETCHING SHEFFIELD MILL
the entry shall be amended to read;
TQ 42 NW FLETCHING MILL LANE
18/792 Sheffield Mill
GV II* (star)
Water mill. Commissioned, together with the house, by Richard Leech of Sheffield Park in
1597-98, the first miller recorded as David Finch, but restored in the early C19 and extended in
1869. Some minor C20 alterations. Timberframed building but ground floor (and first floor to
the east) faced in brick; English bond brickwork to east, Flemish bond to west with grey
headers and some ashlar inserted on south. First floor weatherboarded with tiled roof and
catslide to west. North and south side have two C20 casements, south side has blocked door
opening and inserted 1920s garage doors. Interior of 2 bays retains 3 late Cl6 jowled corner
posts though cut away. Central chamfered beam with run out stop. Old rafters. Lean to to west
added c1869. This is the only remaining example in Sussex of a horizontal wooden layshaft. It
has been dated to the period 1810-1820. It drives 2 pairs of millstones with 3 pairs of wooden
gearwheels. Circa 1869, Samuel Medhurst, the Lewes millwright, extended the building and
put in a cast iron overshot waterwheel and a cruciform shaft with a new iron pitwheel. A cast
iron wallower was put in to mesh with the earlier layshaft and hursting. The wire machine,
grain bins, floorboards and wooden steps also date from this period. Sheffield Mill ceased
working in 1928. A list of millers survives back to James Diver in 1828.
FLETCHING SHEFFIELD MILL
TQ 42 NW
Water mill. Probably early C19 on site of mill mentioned in Domesday Book and
incorporating C17 reused timbers. Base of tooled sandstone with C19 English bond
brickwork above to right hand side, weatherboarding to front and Flemish bond diaper
brickwork to left hand side. Renewed tiled roof. Iron overshot waterwheel of 1869.
The interior is of 2 bays with some reused timbers, including a C17 central beam with
run out stop. It retains 2 pairs of stones driven from a horizontal shaft and also
a drive to a wire machine. The stones are on a wooden hursting and there is an old
pitwheel, a cruciform wheel-shaft and a cast iron waterwheel with rusted buckets.
These appear to have been installed in 1869 by Medhurst's, the Lewes millwrights. A
list of millers survives back to 1828.
Listing NGR: TQ4156625766
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings