History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lancing College, the East and West Quadrangles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lancing, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8462 / 50°50'46"N

Longitude: -0.3041 / 0°18'14"W

OS Eastings: 519492

OS Northings: 106555

OS Grid: TQ194065

Mapcode National: GBR HM6.V88

Mapcode Global: FRA B67V.RD1

Entry Name: Lancing College, the East and West Quadrangles

Listing Date: 27 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1353732

English Heritage Legacy ID: 297258

Location: Lancing, Adur, West Sussex, BN15

County: West Sussex

District: Adur

Civil Parish: Lancing

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lancing St James the Less

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lancing

Listing Text

LANCING COLLEGE DRIVE
TQ 10 NE
2/7
Lancing College, the
east and west
Quadrangles
II*

The College of St Mary and St Nicholas was founded by Nathaniel Woodard in 1848 and
originally housed in the Old Vicarage (now St Mary's House) at Shoreham-by-Sea. The
earliest buildings here were the north, west and south sides of the Lower Quadrangle.
They were designed by R C Carpenter and built by him between 1853 and his death in
1855 and continued by his partner, William Slater between 1855 and 1866. They are
built of knapped flints with stone dressings and quoins. Slate roof. Gothic style.
Casement windows. The north and south sides have three storeys and attic. Twelve
windows and three gabled dormers each. Projecting cloister on ground floor with large
pointed windows with cusping and a sloping roof. Windows above with two or three
trefoil-headed lights. The west side has two storeys and a similar cloister but not
projecting. Central gable with two tall windows and clock-face above. Eight smaller
gables on each side with one window each. The east side comprises the hall, which was
designed by R C Carpenter's son, R R Carpenter, and built between 1866 and 1867.
Seven window-bays flanked by buttresses. Four large elaborate dormers and an
octagonal wooden turret with shingled spire.

The rest of the east side is open, but in front of it a detached building was erected
in 1930 and designed by the Headmaster, Dr Blakiston, in matching style. Two tall
gables and one gabled dormer between. Windows of two, three or four lights with
trefoil-headed lights. Pointed doorway.

In the Upper Quadrangle the south and east sides are by William Slater, the north side
by R H Carpenter and the west side by Maxwell Ayrton, completed in 1913. Two
storeys. Twenty windows to each side. The north, west and south sides have a
cloister with pointed arches. The east side has a central projecting octagonal turret
with a polygonal shingled roof. The north side has a central five-sided projection
with polygonal shingled roof. Three large "Decorated windows. In the north west
corner is a taller building of gate-house type. This has five storeys and three
windows. Castellated parapet. Two projecting turrets at the angles. The west front
has a large central gabled projection with stair turret to south west of it. Graded
partly for historical interest as the central buildings of Woodard's scheme of
education.


Listing NGR: TQ1945206529

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.