This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8549 / 50°51'17"N
Longitude: -0.5544 / 0°33'15"W
OS Eastings: 501851
OS Northings: 107151
OS Grid: TQ018071
Mapcode National: GBR FJ6.BNG
Mapcode Global: FRA 96QV.3TR
Entry Name: 30-34, High Street
Listing Date: 26 March 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297199
Location: Arundel, Arun, West Sussex, BN18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Arundel
Built-Up Area: Arundel
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Arundel St Nicholas with Tortington
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
5401 HIGH STREET
Nos 30 to 34 (even)
TQ 0107 1/24 26.3.49.
Mid C18. Former George Inn. Red brick, with chaining of grey headers between
window ranges. Rusticated quoins of brick up to cornice level. Moulded brick
cornice above 1st floor. Rubbed brick voussoirs on 1st floor. Pitched tile roof,
masked by parapet with ashlar coping. Red brick chimneys.
3 storeys. 5 bays, of which centre 3 break forward. 2 flanking bays have Venetian
windows with double hung sashes and glazing bars on 1st floor. All other windows
are double-hung sashes with glazing bars, those on 2nd floor segment-headed, although
2 on 2nd floor have been filled in.
All 3 houses have shopfronts inserted on ground floor. No 30 has a segmental
bay on either side of the door, and dentilled cornice above glazed double doorway
with semi-circular fanlight. No 32 has 1 oblong bay window with glazing bars,
1 door with oblong fanligt, and moulded cornice over both. No 34 has an oblong
bay window with renewed glazing bars on either side of panelled double doors,
top 3/4 glazed, with marginal glazing bars. Moulded entablature over all, with
fret pattern on frieze.
In the C18 The George Inn belonged to the Duke of Norfolk and was the political
centre of the local Whig party, until superseded by the Norfolk Arms in 1783-5.
Nos 18 to 34 (even) with the Castle Walls and Town Gates form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ0186107156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings