History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Ruins of Old Buckingham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Adur, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8416 / 50°50'29"N

Longitude: -0.2693 / 0°16'9"W

OS Eastings: 521949

OS Northings: 106106

OS Grid: TQ219061

Mapcode National: GBR HMF.4QS

Mapcode Global: FRA B6BW.0X5

Entry Name: The Ruins of Old Buckingham House

Listing Date: 25 August 1954

Last Amended: 23 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1353760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 297307

Location: Adur, West Sussex, BN43

County: West Sussex

District: Adur

Town: Adur

Electoral Ward/Division: Buckingham

Built-Up Area: Shoreham-by-Sea

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Old Shoreham St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Shoreham-by-Sea

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/01/2013


TQ 20 NW
3/54
25.8.54


SHOREHAM-BY-SEA
WOOD VIEW
OLD SHOREHAM
The Ruins of Old Buckingham House


(Formerly listed as Buckingham House, RAVENSBOURNE AVENUE)


(Formerly listed as The Retreat, with remains of the Old Buckingham House or Place, Norman Crescent)


GV II


This house was designed by the Worthing architect John Rebecca, son of Biagio Rebecca,
in 1820. It was burned circa 1910. The shell remains with the east and south walls
trimmed to safety and the windows bricked up. The north and west sides are formed
by the block of flats known as Nos 1 to Woodview Court. 2 storeys. 3 windows
facing east, 3 south, white brick. Each front flanked by twin stone pilasters with
fancy capitals decorated with rosettes. Stone cornice and blocking course with
arcroteria above the pilasters. 1st floor windows in stone surrounds. Ground floor
outer windows have semi-circular tympana with niches in the centre containing shells.
Central bay of east front projects and is flanked by free-standing pseudo-Corinthian
columns rising through both storeys with additional rosettes to the caps. Above
is an elaborate enriched frieze of ox-heads and swags and a tall parapet set between
vases. In the centre of the ground floor on south front is a curved bay containing
a doorway and side lights. The house figures in George Moore's novel, "Esther Waters".


Listing NGR: TQ2194906106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.