This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.789 / 50°47'20"N
Longitude: -0.6661 / 0°39'57"W
OS Eastings: 494121
OS Northings: 99668
OS Grid: SZ941996
Mapcode National: GBR FJV.DFJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 97H0.8B8
Entry Name: The Dome
Listing Date: 22 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297636
Location: Bognor Regis, Arun, West Sussex, PO21
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Bognor Regis
Built-Up Area: Bognor Regis
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: South Bersted St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
UPPER BOGNOR ROAD
No 55 (The Dome)
SZ 9499 18/16 22.7.49.
This was originally a crescent of 3 houses built by Sir Richard Hotham about 1787, and
then called Hothampton Crescent. The centre house was called the Dome and
was constructed with the hope that George III could be induced to desert Weymouth
and reside here on visiting Bognor. Princess Charlotte did actually stay here
in 1808. The east house was originally known as Arran Lodge. All 3 houses are
now known as the Dome and are all occupied by the Bognor Training College. 3 storeys
and basement. 13 windows in all. Red brick with window dressings of grey headers,
quotas and string- course above each floor of yellow brick and relieving arches
of red brick. Red brick modillion eaves cornice above the end houses which is
continued over the centre house with parapet above and pediment in it over the
3 centre window bays. Bay of 3 windows on all floors at each end of the Crescent
with hipped slate roof. Glazing bars intact. Ground floor windows of centre house
round-headed and in red brick arcading with yellow brick keystones. Centre 1st
floor window has 3 lights and a segmental head and is set in a yellow brick arch
with keystone of grey headers. 3-light lunette window above it on 2nd floor.
Oval stone panel with the name Hothampton Crescent and cartouche in the typanum
of pediment. The centre doorway is approached by a double curved flight of 7 steps
with handrail and railing edging the platform. There is an entrance to the basement
beneath the centre of the block of the steps. The doorway has stuccoed pilasters,
pediment on consoles, a frieze enriched with swags, and a rectangular fanlight.
The other houses have simpler doorways at the head of straight steps with handrail.
These doorways have Doric pilasters of painted wood, pediments and semi- circular
fanlights, the east one without its divisions, though the fan of an inner door
has them. Over the centre of the centre house is a small cupola, faced with slates
and containing 4 sash windows facing the points of the compass with a dentilled
cornice round it and leaden dome above. To the rear is a central full-height extension
of contemporary period, having a very wide 3-window bay on all storeys.
Nos 41 to 57 (odd), No 55A, Nos 65 to 71 (odd) and all the walls form a group.
Listing NGR: SZ9412199668
Other nearby listed buildings