History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Ruins of Michelgrove

A Grade II Listed Building in Patching, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8646 / 50°51'52"N

Longitude: -0.4645 / 0°27'52"W

OS Eastings: 508155

OS Northings: 108352

OS Grid: TQ081083

Mapcode National: GBR GKG.PCQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 96XT.8W3

Entry Name: The Ruins of Michelgrove

Listing Date: 20 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1353888

English Heritage Legacy ID: 298009

Location: Patching, Arun, West Sussex, BN13

County: West Sussex

District: Arun

Civil Parish: Patching

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Findon, Clapham and Patching

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Patching

Listing Text

TQ 00 NE
10/53

PATCHING
THE LONG FURLONG

The Ruins of
Michelgrove

II

Michelgrove was one of the largest and most famous houses in the County and was the
home of the Shelley family from the late C15 to 1800. It was probably built about
1540 by Sir William Shelley, Justice of the Common Pleas,
but was altered and enlarged by Sir John Shelley in the C18
and by Richard Walker of Liverpool between 1800 and 1828.
In 1828 it was purchased by the 12th Duke of Norfolk and soon afterwards
demolished by him. The magnificent staircase inserted by Richard Walker is said to
have been moved to Burton Park, Petworth Rural District (q.v.) which was rebuilt at
that period. The only remains of the house on the spot consist of a castellated wall
built of red brick faced with Roman cement with 3 blocked 4-centred archways with
dripstones over and at the north end a squat octagonal turret with castellated
parapet. This is all probably part of one of the 1s. flanking wings or pavilions
added or altered at the time of the C18 or early C19 alterations to the house.


Listing NGR: TQ0815508352

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.