History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shermanbury Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Shermanbury, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9561 / 50°57'21"N

Longitude: -0.2732 / 0°16'23"W

OS Eastings: 521381

OS Northings: 118825

OS Grid: TQ213188

Mapcode National: GBR HKW.XDS

Mapcode Global: FRA B69L.5DY

Entry Name: Shermanbury Place

Listing Date: 15 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354041

English Heritage Legacy ID: 298636

Location: Shermanbury, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham

Civil Parish: Shermanbury

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Shermanbury St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Partridge Green

Listing Text

SHERMANBURY BRIGHTON ROAD
1.
5404
Shermanbury Place
TQ 21 NW 9/320 15.3.55

II

2.
James Dallaway's "History of the Western Division of Sussex" says that this house
was rebuilt by John Challen about 1780 on the site of an old mansion then demolished.
But he also gives a plate of the house. This, though very similar in character to
the present house, is considerably smaller than the latter, and it presumably was
enlarged or rebuilt about 60 years later. It is built of white brick on a stuccoed
base and consists of a centre portion and 2 wings. Two storeys. The centre portion
has 5 windows, of which the three centre window-bays project with a pediment over
containing a round panel. Stringcourse, modillion cornice and blocking course. Hipped
slate roof. Windows in moulded architrave surrounds but with their glazing bars missing.
At the head of 5 segmental steps in the centre of the front a porch with pediment
over has been added later. The wings are of lower elevation and have 2 windows each.
At the east end of the house is a veranda covering the whole width of the house on
this side. This consists of 4 pairs of coupled Doric columns. At the west end but
detached from the house a tower has been added in the mid C19.


Listing NGR: TQ2138118825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.