This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9833 / 50°58'59"N
Longitude: -0.3539 / 0°21'14"W
OS Eastings: 515642
OS Northings: 121717
OS Grid: TQ156217
Mapcode National: GBR HKL.7CG
Mapcode Global: FRA B64J.3XN
Entry Name: Knepp Castle and Stables Adjoining to North West
Listing Date: 22 September 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1354214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 299507
Location: Shipley, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Shipley
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Shipley St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SHIPLEY CASTLE LANE (off)
5404 Knepp Castle and
stables adjoining to
TQ 12 SE 16/495 22.9.59.
Castellated Gothic mansion built by Sir Charles Merrick Burrell between 1800
and 1813. Architect John Nash, Clerk of the Works Alexander Kyffin. L-shaped
plan. Two storeys and attic. Eleven windows. Faced with Roman cement.
Tiled roof. Square-headed sash windows with obtusely pointed panes, glazing
bars and dripstones over. Large round tower containing the staircase in
centre of north-east front. South-west front has a series of machicolated
turrets. Stone porch in centre. Later addition after 1830 at north-west
end. Beyond this is the stable court-yard of which the inner facade is faced
with red brick and grey headers and has a castellated parapet. The south
side consists of 2 blocks of 2 windows and 4 windows respectively with gate-post
between them surmounted by eagles.
Listing NGR: TQ1564221717
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings