This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8608 / 50°51'38"N
Longitude: -0.7132 / 0°42'47"W
OS Eastings: 490661
OS Northings: 107601
OS Grid: SU906076
Mapcode National: GBR DGH.SM1
Mapcode Global: FRA 96DT.MYV
Entry Name: The Countess of Derby's Almshouses
Listing Date: 10 May 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1354497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 300712
Location: Boxgrove, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Boxgrove
Built-Up Area: Tangmere
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Boxgrove
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
BOXGROVE THE STREET
SU 90 NW (west side)
14/67 The Countess of Derby's
Founded in 1741 by the dowager Countess of Derby, daughter and heiress of
Sir William Morley of Halnaker House. Three sides of a courtyard. Two
storeys. Ten windows facing east, six windows facing north and five windows
facing south. Red brick and grey headers. Tiled roof. Casement windows.
The central or west side has a raised centre piece, faced with Roman cement
and four large sash windows with glazing bars. In the centre is an inscrip-
tion recording the founding of the Almshouses with a cartouche over it.
Modern ground floor portion built out in front of this with gabled porch.
Listing NGR: SU9066107601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings