History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Binderton Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in West Dean, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8892 / 50°53'21"N

Longitude: -0.7922 / 0°47'32"W

OS Eastings: 485047

OS Northings: 110662

OS Grid: SU850106

Mapcode National: GBR DG5.4JB

Mapcode Global: FRA 967R.F5K

Entry Name: Binderton Chapel

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354654

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301570

Location: West Dean, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: West Dean

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: East Dean, Singleton and West Dean

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
West Dean

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:

WEST DEAN BINDERTON CHAPEL
SU 81SE
8/22 II

Former chapel, later granary, derelict at time of survey. Erected by
Thomas Smythe c.1671 to replace the old Parish Church about 200 metres north of
Binderton House which had been demolished by his father c.1660 "because it stood
in his light". Single chamber of flint with red brick dressings. Roof
missing. Front elevation has a round-headed arch with keystone and impost
blocks. Stringcourse, and full height pilasters and plinth. 2-light mullioned
window. Side elevations have moulded cornice, pilasters and plinth. Further
mullioned window to rear. The interior is lined with stone blocks. The
building was never consecrated and the only person to be buried here was
Thomas Smythe in accordance with his will of 1687-8. In the C18 the building
was used as a granary and in 1839 Smythe's body and monument were removed to
West Dean Church. The building was restored in 1984.
See Sussex Notes and Queries. 3. 1930 pp 85-87
Sussex Archaeological Collections 117. 1979 pp 109-124.


Listing NGR: SU8504710662

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.