History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardingly College

A Grade II Listed Building in Ardingly, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0408 / 51°2'26"N

Longitude: -0.0901 / 0°5'24"W

OS Eastings: 533994

OS Northings: 128561

OS Grid: TQ339285

Mapcode National: GBR KMT.N1M

Mapcode Global: FRA B6PC.JQL

Entry Name: Ardingly College

Listing Date: 11 May 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 302289

Location: Ardingly, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Ardingly

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Ardingly

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Ardingly

Listing Text

ARDINGLY COLLEGE ROAD
1.
5405
Ardingly College
TQ 32 NW 11/415
II

2.
St Saviour's College, Ardingly, was the third school established by Nathaniel Woodard.
It was founded in 1858 and until 1870 was houses in St Mary's House, (the old
Vicarage) Shoreham-by-Sea, which had previously been the original home of both
Lancing and Hurstpierpoint Colleges. The Architects of the College were
William Slater and R H Carpenter. The foundation stone was laid on 12 July 1864.
The buildings form a complete H with open sides north and south. The School House,
which is one of the wings extending south, was built in 1864-5, the Headmster's House
balancing it between 1865 and 1870, as also the Dining-room with the Assimbly-room
over it in the central block; the North School (now the Junior School) in 1880, the
Chapel completing the central block in 1855-83, the Cloisters joining the School House
and the Headmaster's House along the south face of the central block in 1892 and the
New Wing balancing the North School in 1926-7. The buildings are in Gothic style and
are of red brick with tiled roofs. The Chapel occupies the east end of the central
block comprising 4 bays flanked by buttresses each containing a window of Decorated
type. It extends into a further 2 bays east of the south east or west Wing. Above
the roof is a base for a tower but no spire. To the west of the Chapel is a pointed
carriage archway leading through the central block in the centre of the court-yard with
an oriel window above it. To the west of this are the Dining-room and Assembly-room
above having 5 pointed windows on the first floor and 5 windows of triple lancets
below. The north west wing, formerly known as the North School but now as the
Junior School, has 3 sills, 12 windows, 3 gables and 6 gabled dormer windows. The
windows consist of pairs of lancets. The north east or New Wing has 4 storeys,
16 windows and 6 gables. At the south end of it is a bay window on all floors. The
other windows are casement windows of 2 tiers of 3 lights. Reference. The Builder 1867
pps 835-6.


Listing NGR: TQ3399428561

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.