History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clayton Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burgess Hill, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.9458 / 50°56'44"N

Longitude: -0.1459 / 0°8'45"W

OS Eastings: 530346

OS Northings: 117899

OS Grid: TQ303178

Mapcode National: GBR JMK.RWP

Mapcode Global: FRA B6LL.T4W

Entry Name: Clayton Priory

Listing Date: 28 January 1971

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354811

English Heritage Legacy ID: 302429

Location: Hassocks, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, BN6

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Hassocks

Built-Up Area: Burgess Hill

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Burgess Hill St Edward

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Burgess Hill

Listing Text

Clayton Priory
TQ 31 NW 20/48 28.1.71

Built about 1820 by John Podmore of Hammonds Place, Burgess Hill, which was then
called Clayton Priory. The new house was at first called New Priory. The architect
was possibly John Rebecca of Worthing. The house was later renamed Clayton Priory
when the old house became Hammonds Place. Two storeys. Faced with Roman cement.
The entrance front faces east. It originally had 5 windows, but the centre first floor
window has been replaced by a pair of windows. Cornice and parapet. Ionic pilasters
flank the front for the whole face of the building. Four central window-bays project
with a pediment over. The outer window-bays of this projection are slightly
recessed in arcading. Architrave over the 2 central first floor windows. Glazing
bars intact. Central semi-circular porch containing a doorway with side lights,
large semi-circular fanlight and door of 6 fielded and moulded panels. South front
has 5 windows. Low rectangular panel in centre of parapet. First floor windows have
Venetian shutters. Colonnade of Doric columns along the whole of the ground floor,
of which the centre projects slightly. Cornice and parapet over with scrolled
central pediment. Fine staircase of single flight dividing at half-landing. Hall
with curved doors arranged symmetrically at the angled. Good chimney pieces.

Listing NGR: TQ3034617899

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.