History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clayton Windmills and the Millhouse Attached

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hassocks, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9051 / 50°54'18"N

Longitude: -0.1473 / 0°8'50"W

OS Eastings: 530366

OS Northings: 113368

OS Grid: TQ303133

Mapcode National: GBR JN4.5LK

Mapcode Global: FRA B6LQ.0H4

Entry Name: Clayton Windmills and the Millhouse Attached

Listing Date: 28 October 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 302431

Location: Hassocks, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, BN6

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Hassocks

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Clayton with Keymer

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hassocks

Listing Text

CLAYTON MILL LANE
1.
5405
Clayton Windmills and
the Millhouse attached
TQ 31 SW 23/45 28.10.57
II*

2.
Two complete windmills, the remains of a third and the millhouse adjoining. The
2 complete windmills are always known as "Jack and Jill". "Jill" is the older and
dates from 1821. This is a post mill that was moved to this site from Dyke Road,
Brighton, about 1850. Round house of tarred weather-boarding. Roof and breasts covered
with sheets of metal. Sweeps without shutters. Fantail missing. Machinery intact.
"Jack" is a tower mill dating from 1866. It is built of brick, faced with metal plates,
tarred. Gallery above ground floor. Beehive cap with finial. Framework for the
fantail complete. Main sweeps missing. The roof construction is a skilful example
of a spheroid framing covering. "Jack" is joined to the adjoining mid C19 millhouse
of one storey, which is stuccoed, and to the ground floor of a third mill, older than
"Jill" which was called Duncton mill. This is the round house of a mid C18 post
mill taken down in 1866. All 3 together are occupied as a dwellinghouse.


Listing NGR: TQ3036613368

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.