History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Treemans

A Grade II Listed Building in Horsted Keynes, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0229 / 51°1'22"N

Longitude: -0.0349 / 0°2'5"W

OS Eastings: 537918

OS Northings: 126668

OS Grid: TQ379266

Mapcode National: GBR KN2.XNS

Mapcode Global: FRA B6TD.VLV

Entry Name: Treemans

Listing Date: 11 May 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354856

English Heritage Legacy ID: 302579

Location: Horsted Keynes, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Horsted Keynes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Horsted Keynes St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Horsted Keynes

Listing Text

HORSTED KEYNES TREEMANS ROAD
1.
5405
Freemans
TQ 32 NE 12/472
II

2.
It is an L-shaped building. The original portion is C16 and timber-framed but now
mostly tile-hung, though the timbering with red brick infilling is exposed in one
place. The south front of the south-east wing is faced with ashlar with long and
short quoins and a large brick chimney breast. The north-east wing has a projection
of 2 storeys with a gable on its east side which is the end of the Elizabethan part
of the house. Beyond this the wing was been extended to the east in the late C17
and refaced or enlarged on its north-west face. This front has 3 storeys and
5 windows. Red brick and grey headers. Stone stringcourse above each floor. Brick
parapet. Casement windows with stone keystones and small square leaded panes. Door-
way with semi-circular doorsteps, door of 8 fielded panels and flat hood over. The
north gable end of this wing has moulded bargeboards and brackets with the date 1693
and a brick stringcourse. The house was occupied by the Wyatt family for many years,
but it is chiefly known as the residence of Mary Benson, widow of Edward White Benson,
Archbishop of Canterbury, from 1899 to her death in 1918. Some of the books of all
3 of her sons, A.C. Benson, R.H. Benson and E.F. Benson were written here. But
Mrs Benson's life in the house is best described in her son E.F. Benson's book "Mother


Listing NGR: TQ3791826668

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.