This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9992 / 50°59'57"N
Longitude: -0.1046 / 0°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 533098
OS Northings: 123915
OS Grid: TQ330239
Mapcode National: GBR KNC.BCF
Mapcode Global: FRA B6NG.R37
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfred
Listing Date: 10 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1354934
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303022
Location: Haywards Heath, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Haywards Heath
Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Haywards Heath Saint Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 32 SW HAYWARDS HEATH CHURCH ROAD
4/111 Church of St Wilfred
Church. 1863-5 by G F Bodley in Decorated style. Built of Sussex and Ardingly sandstones with tiled roof having decorative ridge tiles. Central tower, 5 bay nave with clerestory and lean to aisles with buttresses. South chapel in transept and short chancel of 1 bay. Tower of 3 stages with SE turret with stepped buttresses and octagonal turret above. Hipped tiled roof with iron finial. Bell-stage has double pointed
window. Nave has quatrefoil and cinquefoil openings to clerestory. Deep plinth
to aisles whose windows have double original openings and trefoliated heads.
SW gabled porch with cross-shaped saddlestone and arched doorcase with hood
moulding and panelled door. Interior has roof of crown-post type: Tall west
window with intersecting tracery. North walls rest on alternate octagonal
and circular piers. Central tower rests on boldly pointed transverse arches.
East window contains expressionist glass by A Archer 1962-3. Low stone screen,
with alternate rose and fleur-de-lys motifs, separates nave from choir under
tower. South aisle contains some William Morris stained glass of Saints c1870.
South chapel has unusual stained glass depicting soldiers at the front and being
hospitalized during the First World War. Wooden lectern on stone base.
Graded II* for rarity of Bodley Churches. (See Pevsner, Buildings of England,
Sussex, pp 529 and 530.)
Listing NGR: TQ3309823915
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings