History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Land of Green Ginger Shopping Mall and Former Church Hall Adjoining on East

A Grade II Listed Building in Tynemouth, North Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0174 / 55°1'2"N

Longitude: -1.4253 / 1°25'31"W

OS Eastings: 436845

OS Northings: 569354

OS Grid: NZ368693

Mapcode National: GBR LBHF.76

Mapcode Global: WHD4S.24KY

Entry Name: Land of Green Ginger Shopping Mall and Former Church Hall Adjoining on East

Listing Date: 16 November 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303313

Location: North Tyneside, NE30

County: North Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Tynemouth

Built-Up Area: Tynemouth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Tynemouth Priory Holy Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Tynemouth

Listing Text

TYNEMOUTH FRONT STREET (south side)
NZ 3669 SE
Tynemouth
9/67 Land of Green Ginger Shopping
Mall and former church hall
16.11.78 adjoining on east.
G.V. II
Congregational church (now shopping mall) and hall. Church 1868 by Thomas Oliver;
hall dated 1886 in door lintel. Coursed rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roof with stone gable coping. Stone spire and spirelets. Modified
late C13 style. Church oriented north-south; ritual west to Front Street
has tower at right, hall adjoining on east. Steps up to tower double door which
has ballflower ornament to moulded arch on twin shafts; upper stages of tower
have 2-light belfry openings beneath arcades with slit windows. Broach spire
with lucarnes. 4-light west window. Lower one-bay link to 3-storey 3-bay
gabled hall on left, of similar materials. Stone mullioned-and-transomed windows,
the upper ones pointed-arched. Right return of church has 4 gables with 2-light
windows. Historical note: hall erected by members and friends of the Congregational
church for public and educational purposes. Source: H.E. Craster History of
Northumberland vol. VIII 1907. p.377.


Listing NGR: NZ3684569354

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.