This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0089 / 55°0'31"N
Longitude: -1.4444 / 1°26'40"W
OS Eastings: 435628
OS Northings: 568395
OS Grid: NZ356683
Mapcode National: GBR LBCJ.28
Mapcode Global: WHD4R.SCCH
Entry Name: Salvation Army Citadel (Scotch Church)
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1354988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303328
Location: North Tyneside, NE30
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Tynemouth
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: North Shields Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
TYNEMOUTH HOWARD STREET (west side)
NZ 3568 SE
Salvation Army Citadel
Non-conformist church, now Salvation Army Citadel. 1811 by John Dobson for
seccessionist church. Sandstone ashlar; graduated slate roof. Greek Doric style
One storey and attic; 3 bays. Central half-glazed double door and large over-
light flanked by narrow windows and pilasters to frieze with bull's head
ornament. Similar ornament to bracketed canopies of windows in side bays and to
central tripartite attic window, all with renewed glazing. Large capitals to
pilasters defining bays. Complete entablature; plain pilasters define attic
bays and raised central parapet with ramped sides. Ground floor sill band.
Historical note: built for a church established 1759 by the Rev. Joseph
Wilkinson; known as the Scotch Church because by deed the Minister had to be
a licentiate of the Church of Scotland.
Listing NGR: NZ3562868395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings