This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0097 / 55°0'34"N
Longitude: -1.5754 / 1°34'31"W
OS Eastings: 427250
OS Northings: 568429
OS Grid: NZ272684
Mapcode National: GBR KBFH.QZ
Mapcode Global: WHC3K.RBZV
Entry Name: Benton House (Conservative Club)
Listing Date: 27 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1354993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303254
Location: North Tyneside, NE7
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Benton
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Long Benton St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
LONGBENTON HOYLAKE AVENUE (north side)
NZ 26 NE
6/9 Benton House (Conservative
House, now club. Late C18 and Cl9. Built for T.C. Bigge (1739-94). Sandstone ashlar;
graduated Lakeland slate roof. 2 storeys; 1:3:5 bays. Main block of 5 bays has
inserted sash window in central Tuscan porch with fluted necking; glazing bars to
2 sashes either side; none to renewed first floor sashes. Sill and floor bands;
dentilled broken pediment over central 3 bays, and dentilled eaves gutter cornice;
floating cornice above central window. Wing set back at left has pedimented first
bay containing tripartite windows, transomed on ground and sashed at first floors;
eaves cornice under keystoned roundel in pediment. Half-glazed central door (with
large overlight) in 3-bay linking section which has renewed sash windows and early
C20 pedimented dormer. Hipped roof with ashlar chimneys. Interior damaged by fire.
Shop inserted in rear of first bay: see under Front Street.
Listing NGR: NZ2725068429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings