This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0307 / 55°1'50"N
Longitude: -1.4314 / 1°25'53"W
OS Eastings: 436442
OS Northings: 570837
OS Grid: NZ364708
Mapcode National: GBR LBF8.WF
Mapcode Global: WHD4K.ZTJ7
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 24 October 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303286
Location: North Tyneside, NE30
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Tynemouth
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Cullercoats St George
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
TYNEMOUTH BEVERLEY GARDENS (south side)
NZ 37 SE
24.10.50 Church of St. George
Parish church. 1882-4 by J.L. Pearson for 6th Duke of Northumberland as memorial to
his father. Irregularly-coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and plinth;
graduated slate roof with stone gable copings. Aisled nave with transepts and tower
on south transept; 5-sided apse to chancel with north vestry. Early English style.
2-centred-arched doors with elaborate hinges in open west bays of aisles (that on
north now glazed). Tall 2-light plate-traceried clerestory windows in 5-bay nave;
lancets to aisles and to west baptistry under 2 groups of 3 stepped lancets divided
by gabled buttress; similar buttresses with octagonal spirelets flanking 8-foil
roundel in west gable peak. 2-light windows in apse. 3-light windows in first stage
of tower. Slit openings under paired 2-light belfry openings in upper stages; flat
east stair turret. Broach spire with tall lucarnes.
Interior: ashlar with groined vaulting. Moulded double-chamfered nave arcades on
round piers with moulded capitals. Shallow blind triforium; quatrefoil-pierced
parapet to west gallery above groined-vaulted, arcaded baptistry; high double-
chamfered arches to crossings have dog-tooth moulding. High blind apse arcade.
Steeply sloping sills, wide splays and moulded rear arches to all windows.
Terrazzo and marble floor in chancel; stone communion rail and pulpit. Stanhope
marble base to square font on pedestal and 4 columns. Art nouveau copper light
fittings in aisles. East pier of south arcade has brass plate commemorating
laying of foundation stone 4th August 1882. Source: W.W. Tomlinson; Historical
notes on Cullercoats, Whitley and Monkseaton, 1893, p 27.
Listing NGR: NZ3643970838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings