History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Riverside, North Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.998 / 54°59'52"N

Longitude: -1.473 / 1°28'22"W

OS Eastings: 433810

OS Northings: 567169

OS Grid: NZ338671

Mapcode National: GBR LB4N.W5

Mapcode Global: WHD4R.BMTV

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 19 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355013

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303364

Location: North Tyneside, NE29

County: North Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside

Built-Up Area: Tynemouth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Tynemouth, Percy St John

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jarrow

Listing Text

TYNEMOUTH ST. JOHN'S TERRACE
NZ 36 NW
(north side), Percy Main.
7/119
Church of St. John the
Evangelist.
II
Parish church. 1862 by Salvin for the Duke of Northumberland. Snecked sandstone
with ashlar dressings and quoins; slate roof with flat stone gable copings on
kneelers. Aisled nave with south porch; short aisles to chancel. Moulded
pointed arch to south door in gabled porch; shouldered priest's door to chancel.
2 tall west lancets divided by massive buttress continuing to corbelled, gabled
bell-cote. Irregular-block jambs to lancets of aisles and clerestory, paired in
south nave aisle; 3 stepped east lancets. Cross finials to steeply-pitched
nave and chancel roofs, fleur-de-lis finial to porch. Interior: plaster;
chamfered 4-bay nave arcades; rear arches to windows and doors; chamfered chancel
arch with inner arch on shafted corbels; 2-bay arcades on low walls to chancel
aisles. Corbelled shafts to arch-braced cellar-truss nave roof. Painted wooden
First World War memorial panel in north aisle; glass in north aisle by Theophilus
Storey of Newcastle in 1892; illuminated Our Father on wood panel in chancel;
marble monument by G. Park, North Shields, to Arthur Tomlin Coates, vicar,
died 1897.


Listing NGR: NZ3381067169


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.