This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0096 / 55°0'34"N
Longitude: -1.4338 / 1°26'1"W
OS Eastings: 436309
OS Northings: 568482
OS Grid: NZ363684
Mapcode National: GBR LBFJ.D0
Mapcode Global: WHD4R.YBDX
Entry Name: Clifford's Fort trinity House Almshouses and Boundary Stone Attached
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303382
Location: North Tyneside, NE30
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Tynemouth
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Tynemouth Priory Holy Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
TYNEMOUTH UNION ROAD (east side, off)
NZ 3668 SW
15/134 Clifford's Fort (No. 54)
Trinity House Almshouses
and boundary stone attached.
Lighthouse, later almshouse. 1727 lighthouse; raised 1775; converted to almshouses
1830; for Trinity House, Newcastle upon Tyne. Brick of varying bonds with quoins
at right; ground floor rendered; painted sandstone ashlar right return; sandstone
rubble lower courses on left return. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 8 irregular bays.
Ground floor: rendered lintel to door in fifth bay, flat arches to windows.
Elliptical brick arches to windows on upper floors. Some windows bricked up, some
with sashes burnt or removed. Inserted double loading doors in first floor. Deep
moulded brick first floor string; moulded brick brackets to second floor band.
3 commemorative panels, eroded, on first and second floors, one latter dated
1775. Sundial on second floor, right of centre. Hipped roof without chimneys.
Historical note: Trinity House, Newcastle, was granted permission to build
leading lights at Shields by Henry VIII. This is the earliest survivor of
buildings begun in 1539; it became redundant on completion of the new low light
(q.v.) in 1808. Sources: Trinity House MSS. Boundary stone attached to left
return: sandstone block inscribed WD/BS/No7 about 12 cm. above ground. Almshouse
empty and derelict at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ3630968482
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings