History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas and Prebytery Adjoining

A Grade II Listed Building in Ryton, Crookhill and Stella, Gateshead

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9702 / 54°58'12"N

Longitude: -1.7327 / 1°43'57"W

OS Eastings: 417209

OS Northings: 563991

OS Grid: NZ172639

Mapcode National: GBR JBBZ.N3

Mapcode Global: WHC3P.CB4L

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas and Prebytery Adjoining

Listing Date: 18 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355082

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303794

Location: Gateshead, NE21

County: Gateshead

Electoral Ward/Division: Ryton, Crookhill and Stella

Built-Up Area: Ryton

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Blaydon and Swalwell

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Lemington

Listing Text

NZ 16 SE BLAYDON STELLA ROAD
(south side)

4/27 Church of St. Mary and
St. Thomas Aquinas and
presbytery adjoining.

G.V. II

R.C. church and presbytery. 1831 - 2 by John Green; 1848 - 9, porch, chancel
and fleche by Dobson. Church: coursed squared sandstone with plinth and ashlar
dressings; roof Westmorland slate with stone gable copings. Aligned north-south.
Nave and chancel. 6-bay nave has alternate block jambs and sloping sills to
lancet windows; gabled buttresses between. In second bay steeply-gabled porch
with elaborate doorway. Above porch a 3-mouchettes window. Chancel has 3
lancets and stepped buttresses. Cross finials to low-pitched roof of nave
and steeply-pitched of chancel. Octagonal stone belfry over chancel arch has
weather vane finial to spirelet. Interior: deep splays to lancets; pointed
chancel arch with dog-tooth on shafted columns with foliage capitals. Chancel
has sedilia on south, seat in imitation of wall tomb on north. Gothic revival
altar, and wood communion rail. Glass in the first north bay of nave, in
memory of Thomas Parker, priest, died 1847. Other good Victorian glass, also
in porch.
Presbytery attached to north: sandstone ashlar; roof concealed by parapet.
Perpendicular style. 3 storeys, 5 windows x 2. North elevation of one, 3 and
one windows has central projecting bay and corner turret. Central pointed-arched
door between shafts recessed in flat-headed surround, with mouchettes in
spandrels under label mould; above this a 3-light transomed window between
bracketed niches under label moulds; ogee-headed niches in gable peak.
Flanking recessed bays have 2-light windows; square turrets one-light sash
window with stone mullions. Roof: high central ridge flanked by 2 low ledges.
Interior: turrets provide corner cupboards; some Gothick, some 3-over-3-panelled
doors; blocked door on second landing formerly communicated with organ loft
of church.


Listing NGR: NZ1720963991

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.