History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bradley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crawcrook and Greenside, Gateshead

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9645 / 54°57'52"N

Longitude: -1.808 / 1°48'28"W

OS Eastings: 412391

OS Northings: 563339

OS Grid: NZ123633

Mapcode National: GBR HCT1.C4

Mapcode Global: WHC3N.6G9Z

Entry Name: Bradley Hall

Listing Date: 21 January 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355110

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303840

Location: Gateshead, NE41

County: Gateshead

Electoral Ward/Division: Crawcrook and Greenside

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Greenside

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Heddon on the Wall

Listing Text

NZ 16 SW RYTON A696 (north side)

3/74

21.1.49 Bradley Hall

GV II*

Large country house. Circa 1760 for John Simpson, Newcastle merchant; 1813
alterations by Dobson for first Lord Ravensworth. Sandstone ashlar, roof of
graduated Westmorland slate. L-plan : Left return extended by nursery wing in
early C19. 2 storeys, 2, 3 and 2 windows on front, 7 on left return, 5 on right
return. South elevation to garden: central projecting 3 bays contain half-glazed
door under large fanlight with glazing bars in flat Tuscan doorcase with one
triglyph at each end of fascia; aedicule to window above with blind blustraded
apron. Pediments to windows flanking door. Architraves to all windows; pulvi-
nated frieze and cornice to those on ground floor; blind balustrades to numbers
1, 2, 6 and 7 at first floor. Sill bands to ground floor and central 3 bays
first floor, first floor band to outer bays. Blind quartrefoil under open pedi-
ment continuous with modillioned eaves cornice. Moulded parapet coping; cornice
returns a short way at left and all along right return. Narrow set-back left
and right has ground floor sill band and eaves cornice. Right return has central
door with swept architrave on plinth, bracketed pediment, iron lampholder
projecting from frieze, large rectangular fanlight with glazing bars. Later
nursery wing, of 2 storeys and dormers 4 windows, has round-headed staircase
window in return breaking forward from left return of house. Interior shows
cornices, stucco ceiling decoration with trophies and vine leaves of high quality
mid-C18 character, lugged architraves to deep panelled reveals of 6-panel doors;
ramped handrail to Chinese Chippendale style staircase balustrades. Marble
chimney pieces with carved panels and cornices on Ionic pilasters.


Listing NGR: NZ1239163339

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.