This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9602 / 54°57'36"N
Longitude: -1.7576 / 1°45'27"W
OS Eastings: 415620
OS Northings: 562871
OS Grid: NZ156628
Mapcode National: GBR JC52.8P
Mapcode Global: WHC3N.ZL78
Entry Name: Stephens Hall
Listing Date: 18 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355113
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303852
Location: Gateshead, NE40
Electoral Ward/Division: Crawcrook and Greenside
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Greenside
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 15 SE RYTON CUSHY COW LANE
(East side), RYTON
Small fortified manor house. 1635, 1653 with considerable late C18 and early C19 alterations and minor C20 additions. Sandstone rubble and ashlar with quoins, and C20 brick additions. Welsh slate roofs with flat stone gable copings. 2 storeys. PLAN: Courtyard plan with 3 ranges and wall to north side. EXTERIOR: South front, considerably re-modelled C19, has 5 windows. Disturbed masonry walling including central ashlar section. Central 6-pane sash flanked by C20 doors with overlights, flanked again by further 6-pane sashes. Above 5 similar sash windows, that above right door blind. East front, gable wall has very large stepped external stack with small deeply chamfered fire windows either side on upper floors. To right two 16-pane sashes and above 2 through eaves 16-pane sashes. To right C20 lean-to brick addition. North front has deep central segmental arch with hood mould and date stone above inscribed:- DVMSPIROSPERO ANNO 1653 the wall topped with shallow battlements with Latin inscriptions. Within arch, 4-centred arched doorway with moulded stone surround with ribbon decoration inscribed:- S C 1635 and Tudor hood mould. Either side 2-storey wings with coped gables. That to left obscured by C20 lean-to brick additions to ground floor and above single C19 twelve-pane sash. That to right partly obscured by C20 lean-to brick additions, with above chamfered 4-centred arched window opening with 2-light Yorkshire sash and above small blocked 2-light chamfered mullion window. West front has blank gable wall to right and to left two 16-pane sashes with 2 similar sashes above. INNER COURTYARD: South wall has central 4-centred arched doorway with decorated lintel and Tudor hood-mould now containing stable window, to right C19 plank door and to left chamfered single light opening. Above central 3-light chamfered mullion window with hood-mould, above again chamfered opening under Tudor hood mould with 2-light wooden casement. East wall has single 4-centred arched doorway to right with lintel inscribed:- ANNO MDCLII and to left similar upper doorway both now blocked. INTERIOR: Not inspected but reported as having various original 4-centred arched doorways and chimney pieces, some partly block and others recently exposed. Fragments of contemporary wall paintings in kitchen.
Listing NGR: NZ1562062871
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings