History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Blaydon, Gateshead

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9647 / 54°57'53"N

Longitude: -1.7136 / 1°42'48"W

OS Eastings: 418436

OS Northings: 563381

OS Grid: NZ184633

Mapcode National: GBR JCG1.T2

Mapcode Global: WHC3P.NG6T

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 18 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355120

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303788

Location: Gateshead, NE21

County: Gateshead

Electoral Ward/Division: Blaydon

Built-Up Area: Blaydon

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Blaydon and Swalwell

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Lemington

Listing Text

NZ 16 SE BLAYDON SHIBDON ROAD
(north side)
4/21
Church of St. Cuthbert

G.V. II

Parish church. 1844 - 45 by G. Pickering; chancel 1860-62 by J.E. Watson;
tower 1869; re-roofed and restored 1882. Snecked sandstone with plinth and
ashlar dressings; roof of Welsh slate has overlapping stone gable copings.
Early English, and Decorated styles. Nave with large north aisle;
chancel with north porch; west tower. Paired lancets,cusped in chancel
under dentil table. Battlemented tower has corner and side spirelets,
angle gargoyles. South entrance of pointed arch with nook shafts under
head-stopped drip mould; upper stages have 2-light window, clock set in round
stone surround in 2-light opening, 2-light belfry opening and quatrefoil
bands. Chancel has 4-light east window with bar tracery; north porch
has east door in chamfered pointed arch under cusped triangular window, and
2-light window at right. Steeply pitched roofs. Interior: round piers
to double-chamfered 4-bay nave arcades; walls plastered to boarded
dado: arch-braced roof on flower-decorated corbels. Memorials: priest's
stall, Frosterley marble steps and terrazzo in front of chancel, and chancel
screen, 1899 to Reverend M. Green; 1902 pulpit to South African War and
Coronation of Edward VII; Boer War brass tablet in south aisle. First
World War memorial font; Second World War memorial tablet.


Listing NGR: NZ1843663381


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.