History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in East Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0066 / 55°0'23"N

Longitude: -1.6095 / 1°36'34"W

OS Eastings: 425076

OS Northings: 568076

OS Grid: NZ250680

Mapcode National: GBR KB6K.C2

Mapcode Global: WHC3K.7FV6

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 10 November 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355218

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304332

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: East Gosforth

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Gosforth St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Gosforth

Listing Text

NZ 26 NE GOSFORTH CHURCH ROAD (east side)

9/12 Church of St. Nicholas

10 November 1949

G.V. II


Parish church. 1799 tower and west end by John Dodds after demolition of earlier
church; 1820 additions by John Dobson; 1912/13 and 1950 additions. Sandstone ashlar;
graduated Lakeland slate roof. West tower with north and south porches; aisled
nave with north vestries and second north aisle; chancel with porches and small
apse. Flat stone lintels to double doors in west porches; 3-stage tower has
west window, similar blind window above and belfry openings in set-back third
stage below cornice and octagonal stone spire with swept eaves. Blocked south
door and inserted south-east door have flat stone lintels. All windows round-
headed, those of nave recessed with projecting stone sills in tall round-arched
panels; smaller narrow square-headed windows flank main east window. Coped
parapets above eaves band; stone gable coping with cross finial; semi-dome to
apse. Interior: painted plaster above panelled dado; segmental boarded roof
with side vaults to 2 oeuils de boeuf. Nave arcades of 2 wide elliptical arches
with narrow arches at east and west ends; 5-arched arcade to extra North aisle.
Ionic Order to chancel arch; panelled sanctuary. Headstones built into south
aisle wall. Glass includes memorial to J.B. and M.A. Row by G.J. Baguley,
Newcastle, 1902.


Listing NGR: NZ2507668076

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.