This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9631 / 54°57'47"N
Longitude: -1.6395 / 1°38'22"W
OS Eastings: 423180
OS Northings: 563227
OS Grid: NZ231632
Mapcode National: GBR SKJ.1N
Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.SJG1
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304439
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Elswick
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Elswick St Stephen and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BRUNEL TERRACE (east side)
11/134 Church of St. Stephen
Parish church, declared redundant lst January 1984. 1868 by Johnson. Snecked
sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings.
Aisled nave with north-west tower and low west porch; north transept; chancel
with north aisle. Decorated style. 3-stage tower over aisle has triple belfry
openings, corbel table, and battlements with corner flying buttresses to
tall octagonal stone spire with lucarnes. West porch has shafts and label
strings to square-headed central window and flanking doors; high aisle
windows, boarded up in north and west and with bar tracery on south; larger
east window also boarded up. Steeply-pitched roofs to nave and aisles.
Interior: stripped except for alabaster memorials in memory of members of
the Cruddas family and mosaic after Holman Hunt "Light of the World" in memory
of Rev. Joseph Duncan, vicar 1901-11. Glass removed.
Listing NGR: NZ2318063227
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings