This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9725 / 54°58'21"N
Longitude: -1.6203 / 1°37'13"W
OS Eastings: 424400
OS Northings: 564280
OS Grid: NZ244642
Mapcode National: GBR SN9.48
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.28PT
Entry Name: Town Wall, with Morden, Heber and Ever Towers
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355301
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304883
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2464 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE STOWELL STREET
(west side off)
17.12.71 Town Wall, with Morden,
Heber and Ever Towers.
(Formerly listed as
Town wall and towers. Late C13. Large sandstone blocks; Morden tower partly brick
with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. High wall, some sections with walk and
steeply-coped parapet; corbelled turrets at intervals; blocked postern door
formerly allowed Dominicans access to their land outside the wall. Ever Tower at
north largely demolished 1908-10, but lower courses show deep splays to window slits;
granted to Company of Paviors, Colliers and Carriers in C19. Towers semi-circular.
Morden tower partly rebuilt c.1700 by Company of Glaziers, Plumbers and Pewterers:
2 storeys, 2 windows; architraves to central door and 2 first-floor cross windows
with moulded sills; stone corbels support first floor which has quoins and cornice
with ashlar-coped parapet. Hipped roof. Eroded first-floor panel records alterations.
Heber Tower has C20 grilles over 2-centred-arched doorway and square opening above;
restored 1770-71 by Company of Armourers, Curriers and Feltmakers. A scheduled
Listing NGR: NZ2440064280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings