History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Military Vehicle Museum

A Grade II Listed Building in Wingrove, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9864 / 54°59'11"N

Longitude: -1.6164 / 1°36'59"W

OS Eastings: 424642

OS Northings: 565824

OS Grid: NZ246658

Mapcode National: GBR SNV.C0

Mapcode Global: WHC3K.4XJQ

Entry Name: Military Vehicle Museum

Listing Date: 17 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304996

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Wingrove

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newcastle upon Tyne

Listing Text

NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAREMONT RD
8/550 A Military Vehicle
Museum
(former Palace
of Arts)
II
Exhibition building. Built 1928-9. Steel framed with concrete cladding.
Single storey. 15 bays by 19 bays. The main facade has a projecting central
portico with 10 base-less and capital-less square fluted columns, raised on a
7 step base, with a 3 step flat parapet which continues around the whole
building. Either side are 3 bay blind wings with 3 blind windows each. The
building is surmounted by a central octagonal cupola, topped by a shallow
octagonal dome. The side facades are articulated with 20 base-less and
capital-less fluted pilasters. Interior has a central domed space and linking
galleries all round, divided by wooden panelled walls with Art Deco style
doorways between. This building was built as the Palace of Arts for the North
East Coast Exhibition, opened by the Prince of Wales on 14 May 1929. After
the exhibition closed on 26 October 1929 the building was purchased by
Newcastle upon Tyne Corporation for the Museum of Science and Engineering
opened in 1934. It now houses the Military Vehicles Museum, it is the only
surviving structure from the 1929 North East Coast Exhibition.


Listing NGR: NZ2464265824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.