This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2418 / 52°14'30"N
Longitude: -1.8789 / 1°52'44"W
OS Eastings: 408363
OS Northings: 260403
OS Grid: SP083604
Mapcode National: GBR 3JN.KR7
Mapcode Global: VHB02.DX1B
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of Saint Peter Paul and Elizabeth
Listing Date: 11 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305316
Location: Coughton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Coughton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Coughton with Sambourne
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1/153 Roman Catholic Church of
11/12/69 Saints Peter, Paul and
Roman Catholic Church. Built for Throckmorton family 1853. Designed by Charles
Hansom 1851. Regular coursed limestone. Tile roof with crested ridge tiles and
coped gables. Wide nave, chancel and north chapel, south-west turret and south
porch. Gothic Revival. Decorated style. 5-bay nave, 2-bay chancel and chapel.
West front has arched double-leaf doors with hood mould and stops. 3-light
traceried east and west windows, with hood mould and head stops. Tall thin
south-west turret starts square but turns octagonal. Top has trefoil openings
and gargoyles and pyramidal roof. Double-chamfered arched south doorway with
double-leaf doors. South porch has coped gables and buttresses flush with front.
Arch with hood mould and head stops. Nave has 2-light traceried windows
throughout. North chapel has diagonal and single buttresses with 2-light
traceried windows. North porch in angle of stone, timber and glass.
Single-storey link to priest's house has tall central gable, shouldered door and
casements. Interior: plastered walls throughout. Nave has scissor brace roof.
West gallery. Chancel arch without imposts. Chancel has panelled wagon roof with
good painted and stencilled decoration. Carved stone altar and reredos. 2-bay
arcade to chapel has round shaft. Chapel has plain panelled wagon roof.
Fittings: Piscina and seat. Stone pulpit and font with relief carvings; font
rests on 5 colonettes. Stained glass: Some original glass in nave, chapel east
window, and chancel east window attributed to Hardman (Buildings of England). A
good, little altered example of a C19 Catholic Church.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p.74; Kelly's Directory of Birmingham,
Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, 1884, p.737).
Listing NGR: SP0836360403
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings