This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2158 / 52°12'56"N
Longitude: -1.8688 / 1°52'7"W
OS Eastings: 409058
OS Northings: 257520
OS Grid: SP090575
Mapcode National: GBR 3K2.2B5
Mapcode Global: VHB08.KKDQ
Entry Name: Churchill House
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305223
Location: Alcester, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Alcester
Built-Up Area: Alcester
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Alcester St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ALCESTER HENLEY STREET
SP0857 (West side)
4/65 Churchill House
House. Early C17 (VCH); front range inscribed TLE 1688 on lead rainwater heads.
Timber framed with some close studding, lath and plaster and whitewashed brick
infill. Front range red brick with brick sill band at first floor. Wood
modillion and egg and dart cornice. Old tile roofs; brick chimneys. L-plan. 2
storeys and attic; 5-window range. Off centre C17 six-panelled door and
overlight with decorative glazing in moulded wood surround. Ground floor has 2
wide rectangular bay windows of paired 16-pane sashes, the right one also with
sash door on right. Stone quoins. Wood dentil cornice, continued over entrance,
and moulded wood, cornice and roof continued across entire facade. At either end
of this are small slate hipped roofs, not wholly in line with the bay windows.
First floor has central doorway to balcony. Double-leaf 4-panelled door in rich
doorcases bolection moulded architrave and sunk panels, with acanthus leaf
consoles and enriched entablature with egg and dart moulding. Open scroll
pediment with pineapple motif in centre. Sash windows with egg and dart moulded
frames. Attic has 3 flat-roofed roof dormers with leaded light casements and egg
and dart cornices. Rear almost entirely of exposed framing with some close
studding. Low timber framed wing to left. Gabled wing on right has jowled post.
Long wing beyond this of 2 stages with separate roofs. First stage timber framed
but partly faced in whitewashed brick; rear of wing largely brick faced. Second,
tall stage has some wattle and daub and some whitewashed brick infill; formerly
stabling, now incorporated into the house. Irregular fenestration. Interior:
Ground floor room on left at the front has early C17 panelling and corner
fireplace with carved overmantel with enriched pilasters etc. Dog leg staircase
with winders has twisted balusters. First floor room on left at front has late
C17 panelling with broad panels and double-leaf doors to stairs and balcony.
Rich high relief plasterwork ceiling dated 1688, with initials TLE. Central oval
wreath of flowers and foliage within a rectangle; spandrels with flower and
foliage scrolls. Frieze of bouquets and ribbons and central cartouche to each
wall. In rear wings exposed framing. Room with broad open fireplace and
chamfered bressumer; another with mid C18 carved chimney piece. Both rooms have
stepped stop-chamfered beams dividing ceilings into panels. Front range has
projecting wood sign bracket with scrollwork.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p.11; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.6l).
Listing NGR: SP0905857520
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings