This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.219 / 52°13'8"N
Longitude: -1.7616 / 1°45'41"W
OS Eastings: 416386
OS Northings: 257892
OS Grid: SP163578
Mapcode National: GBR 4LB.ZBR
Mapcode Global: VHB0B.FH38
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 11 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355412
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305373
Location: Wilmcote, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Wilmcote
Built-Up Area: Wilmcote
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of St. Andrew
Small church. 1840-42. Attributed to William Butterfield (VCH), but attribution
not accepted by Paul Thompson. Built for the Knottesford Fortescue family.
Regular coursed lias with limestone ashlar dressings. Tile roofs with coped
gables. Aisled nave and chancel, north vestry. Early English style. 4-bay nave,
2-bay chancel. Angle buttresses and lancets with continuous hood moulds
throughout. Chancel has triple east lancets with string course at sill, and
quatrefoil above. Buttresses with gablets. Gable has foliated cross. Single
south window. Roof has corbel table. Small north door in lean-to porch with east
window. South aisle has 4 windows and east window; north aisle has 3 north
windows only. Nave and chancel roof in one; aisles have lean-to roofs of same
pitch, but slightly lower. West entrance between 2 lancets has chamfered arched
doorway with stilted outer arch, and plank door with ironwork. String course at
sill level continued up over door as gable with stiff-leaf finial. Pointed
elliptical window above has moulded surround. Gable has small louvred wood
bellcote. Far-projecting vestry, possibly a later addition, at right angles to
north aisle, has west door with hood mould continued across wall. North window.
Blank east wall of imitation ashlar cement. Interior: Plastered or whitewashed
walls. Chancel has 2 pairs of sedilia. Small elaborate niche and bracket on
north wall has trefoiled arch with shafts and gable, and bracket supported on
stiff-leaves clasped in a hand. Elaborate painting, stencilling and gilding on
every surface, including panelled wagon roof. Encaustic tile paving. Chancel
arch on short colonette corbels. Nave has 4-bay arcade of 2 chamfered orders and
round piers with 4 fillets. West internal porch, gallery overt west arch and
west wall of aisles elaborately painted and stencilled. Queen strut roof with
arched braces on colonnette corbels. Narrow aisles, lower than arcade. Walls
covered with scenes from the life of Christ painted in monochrome on zinc
sheets, said to have been painted by the incumbent c.1870. Fittings: Arcaded
stone altar. Carved stone pulpit with later monochrome paintings c.1870.
Cylindrical stone font with carved interlace ornament, and elaborate ironwork on
lid. Stained glass: East window c.1857, south aisle east mid C19; good quality
medieval style work. Sculpture: Flemish relief of c.1520 (Buildings of England)
on west wall. A good, very largely complete example of a Tractarian-influenced
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p. ; Buildings of England: Harwicksfiire,
pp.473-471; Paul Thompson: William Butterfield, p.56).
Listing NGR: SP1638657892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings