History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Oldberrow, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2919 / 52°17'30"N

Longitude: -1.8235 / 1°49'24"W

OS Eastings: 412132

OS Northings: 265985

OS Grid: SP121659

Mapcode National: GBR 4KH.7SN

Mapcode Global: VH9ZX.BNTD

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355413

English Heritage Legacy ID: 305485

Location: Oldberrow, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B95

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Oldberrow

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Spernall, Morton Bagot, and Oldberrow

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Tanworth

Listing Text

OLDBERROW HENLEY ROAD
SP16NW (South side)
2/135 Church of St. Mary
01/02/67

GV II


Church. Medieval origins, but very largely rebuilt 1875 (Buildings of England).
Coursed squared sandstone. Porch of sandstone ashlar and timber. Timber framed
west turret with close studding and rendered infill. Continuous tile roof.
Turret has small splay-footed shingle spire. Small building with nave and
chancel in one, south porch and west turret. Simple chamfered C14 arched doorway
with C19 door. Porch with arched braces, traceried openings and bargeboards
carved with vine design. Chancel has C19 three-light east window with cusped
Intersecting tracery. Angle buttresses flush with east wall. South side has C13
trefoiled lancet and re-set C12 window. Buttress between chancel and nave. Nave
has C19 two-light square headed Decorated window. On north side very small C13
lancet, and shallow projection with C19 single light. Nave has 2 buttresses C15
ogee lancet and C19 single light. Blocked C15 four-centred doorway with simple
blind tracery above. C19 two-light straight-headed Decorated west window. Turret
has moulded middle string course. 2 narrow lights with wooden Perpendicular
style tracery to each face. Interior: Single-framed roof with collars and ashlar
pieces. West end has truss for turret. All windows except east window have
straight heads. Chancel has C19 encaustic tile paving. Fittings: C19
Perpendicular style traceried wood chancel screen, and simple west screen. C13
stone font: Curved octagonal cup bowl with simple incised stiff leaf design on
4-lobed stem; C19 lid. Stained glass: East window in memory of Reverend Samuel
D'Oyley Peshall, died 1859.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vul.III, p.141; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.368).


Listing NGR: SP1213265985

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.