This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2699 / 52°16'11"N
Longitude: -1.8928 / 1°53'34"W
OS Eastings: 407408
OS Northings: 263534
OS Grid: SP074635
Mapcode National: GBR 3J8.N84
Mapcode Global: VHB02.46PQ
Entry Name: Mountbatten House and Attached Garden Walls
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Last Amended: 23 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305533
Location: Studley, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B80
Civil Parish: Studley
Built-Up Area: Studley
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Studley with Mappleborough Green
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
STUDLEY ALCESTER ROAD
SP06SE (East side)
4/186 Mountbatten House and
01/02/67 attached garden wails
(Formerly listed as Manor
House with gate piers and
Manor house and attached garden walls. Late C17 (VCH). Interior remodelled
c.1740. C19 addition. Probably built for Charles Knottesford. Red English bond
brick with stone pilasters, dressings, entablature and cornice, and parapet.
Double-span slate hipped roof behind parapet; brick internal stacks. Central
staircase plan. 2 storeys and attic, with 2 storey front; 5-window range. Ionic
giant angle pilasters. Central stone doorcase of Tuscan half-columns and
pilasters, and segmental pediment breaking forward at each side. 15-pane sashes
in moulded stone architraves with keystones, and sill band on ground floor. Deep
entablature and modillion cornice. Parapet with balustrading above each bay, and
corner urns. Garden front similar, but with brick parapet, recessed above each
bay, and without urns. Return sides have blind windows. 3-bay right side has
central C20 attic window; 4-bay left side has attic casements. 2-bay addition
on left has pitched roof. Sashes in moulded stone frames. Interior: Central hall
and through passage and room on garden front have dados, partly of early C17
panelling from The Old Castle (q.v.). Room also has Jacobean style fireplace and
overmantel, possibly with some old woodwork. Good dog-leg staircase with
scrolled open string and 3 column-on-vase balusters to each tread. Rooms to left
no right of entrance have carved wooden chimneypieces and moulded doorcases.
Late C17 moulded cornices. 2- and 6-panelled doors throughout. First floor has
eared door architraves. Back staircase with turned balusters. Brick garden wall
attached to left and right and right angles on right garden front. The interior
was remodelled after a fire c.1740.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.111, p.175, Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP0740863534
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings