This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0818 / 52°4'54"N
Longitude: -1.62 / 1°37'12"W
OS Eastings: 426135
OS Northings: 242668
OS Grid: SP261426
Mapcode National: GBR 5PL.K6Y
Mapcode Global: VHBYF.VYX0
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 30 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355483
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305875
Location: Honington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Honington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Honington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
10/112 Church of All Saints
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of All Saints)
Church. West tower of c.1275-1300. Rest c.1680-5. Limestone ashlar. Tiled roof.
4 bays. Apsidal chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower. Chancel and
north and south aisles have tall round headed windows with eared architraves and
lead cames. South aisle has entrance to left with moulded stone surrounds,
floating cornice and 6-panelled door. Stone plinth. String course. Stone parapet
surmounted by flaming urns. West tower of 3 stages. Entrance has heavy moulded
wood surround and plank door. Single pointed arched window to first stage has
moulded hood mould and framentary remains of label stops to each face. Third
stage has a 2-light Decorated window with hood mould and label stop. String
courses. Angle buttresses. Parapet with finials. Interior: nave has north and
south arcades of 4 bays. Tuscan columns on high plinths. Moulded and chamfered
capitals with egg and dart decoration. Panelled soffits. Shallow segmental
plastered ceiling is divided into panels. Elaborate cornice. C17-C19 fittings
and furnishings: chancel has communion rails with twisted and carved balusters.
Benches and box pews, most pews cut down. Hexagonal pulpit with fielded panels
and angle posts carved with pendants of fruit and flowers. Reading desk. Font of
stone with reeded and gadrooned underside. Monuments: west end of nave has
monuments to the Parker family including an imposing marble monument to Sir
Henry Parker and his son Hugh d.1713 and 1712. Fluted pilaster surrounds.
Surmounted by flaming urns flanking a cartouche. South wall has monuments to
members of the Townsend family including a pedimented marble monument with
cartouche to Joseph Townsend d.1763, wall tablet to Judith Townsend d.1795.
North wall has C19 monuments to members of the Townsend family. C19 stained
glass. Sir Henry Parker rebuilt the church in the 1680's. The Church of All
Saints is situated immediately to the south-east of Honington Hall (q.v.).
(Cornforth, J. Country Life, Sept 21st, 1978, Honington Hall, Warks I,
pp.791-792; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.314).
Listing NGR: SP2613842669
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings