History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Clare

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fenny Compton, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1658 / 52°9'56"N

Longitude: -1.3918 / 1°23'30"W

OS Eastings: 441699

OS Northings: 252119

OS Grid: SP416521

Mapcode National: GBR 7RL.2YL

Mapcode Global: VHBY5.TTLL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Clare

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Last Amended: 8 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355534

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306158

Location: Fenny Compton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Fenny Compton

Built-Up Area: Fenny Compton

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Avon Dassett with Fenny Compton

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Wormleighton

Listing Text

FENNY COMPTON CHURCH STREET
SP4052 (South side)
6/48 Church of St. Peter and St.
30/05/67 Clare
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. Clare)

GV II*


Church. Late C13/early C14 chancel, largely rebuit late C18/C19 and late C19;
late C13 nave; late C14 north aisle, west tower and spire, and porch. C16
clerestory. Porch partly remodelled 1675. South aisle, restoration and tracery
largely renewed 1879 by T.G. Jackson. Ironstone: chancel, clerestory, north
aisle and tower regular coursed; south aisle of coursed rubble. Lead roofs have
moulded parapets and shallow-pitched gable parapets. Chancel, aisled nave, north
porch and west tower. Decorated style. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has
plinth, double-stepped to east, and south diagonal and north-east buttresses;
aisles have diagonal buttresses. Chancel has 3-light east window with
reticulated tracery and hood mould. North side has blocked doorway partly
inserted into it. Three 2-light south windows have cinqfoiled lights. North
porch has low diagonal buttresses. C14 moulded arched doorway has hood mould
with block stops, and C17 double-leaf plank doors. Datestone in gable. Late C14
north doorway of 2 sunk-chamfered orders has hood mould with head stops. Ancient
studded 3-plank door. Two north windows of 2 trefoiled round arched lights in
square head with moulded jambs and hood mould. 3-light east window has segmental
arch and trefoiled lights. 2-light west window has simple cusped reticulated
tracery. Hood moulds with block stops. South aisle has 4 buttresses. Central
south doorway of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould and foliage stops. Four
2-light south windows have cusped Y-tracery. East and west windows similar to
north aisle. 3-bay clerestory has 2-light windows; C16 with 4-centred lights to
north, C19 with trefoiled lights to south. Tower of 2 stages. Double chamfered
plinth. West diagonal buttresses have 4 offsets up to parapet. Blocked west
door. Late C14 west window of 2 orders, with cinqfoiled reticulated tracery and
hood mould with head stops. Similar trefoiled bell openings, but with return
stops. North and south gargoyles. Recessed octagonal spire with small lucarnes.
Interior: plastered walls. Chancel has C19 south recess with segmental-pointed
arch. C19 roof, with one reset medieval head corbel. C14 chancel arch of 2
chamfered orders, the inner on half-octagon shafts with moulded capitals and
bases, and hood mould with return stops. Nave has 5-bay C14 north arcade of 2
chamfered orders and octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and bases;
easternmost bay has fragmentary foliage carving. Blocked square headed doorway
to former roof loft. Similar south arcade of 1879. Low-pitched roof has
simply-moulded cambered tie beams with wall posts on stone corbels. Aisles have
chamfered cambered tie beams and chamfered rib. Fittings: C17 communion rails
with twisted balusters. Font has C19 bowl on old cylindrical stem and square
base. Pulpit of 5 late C17 fielded panels. North aisle has plain locker with
fielded panel door and H-hinges. C17 chest. Stained glass: north aisle east
window c.1883. Monuments: chancel has reset brass with inscription to Richard
Willis 1597. Elizabeth Croker 1719: wall monument with flaming urn.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.I, pp.48-9; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.293).


Listing NGR: SP4168852157

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.