History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of St Joseph and Attached Presbytery

A Grade II Listed Building in Avon Dassett, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1464 / 52°8'47"N

Longitude: -1.4019 / 1°24'6"W

OS Eastings: 441021

OS Northings: 249962

OS Grid: SP410499

Mapcode National: GBR 7RS.DD4

Mapcode Global: VHBYC.N96W

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Joseph and Attached Presbytery

Listing Date: 8 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355548

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306123

Location: Avon Dassett, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Avon Dassett

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Avon Dassett with Fenny Compton

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Warmington

Listing Text

AVON DASSETT AVON DASSETT ROAD
SP44NW (East side)
4/14 Roman Catholic Church of St.
Joseph and attached presbytery

GV II


Roman Catholic church and attached presbytery. 1854. By Myers. Coursed squared
ironstone. Concrete tile roofs; tower and presbytery have slate roofs; coped
gable parapets with kneelers and decorated crosses. Nave, chancel, south chapel
and north-west porch tower. Gothic Revival style. Chamfered lancets throughout.
1 bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Chancel has diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets. East
window of 3 stepped lancets. North window of paired lancets. Small polygonal
projection in north west angle. Nave has buttresses with 2 offsets. 3 windows to
north and south sides. West front has splayed plinth. South diagonal buttress.
Window of 3 stepped lancets with continuous hood mould. Splayed sill course.
West door in tower has deep splayed arch and simple hood mould. Double-leaf
door. Tower of 2 stages. Splayed plinth and angle buttresses with 2 offsets.
Lancet with hood mould above door. North side has lancet. Square projection in
north-east angle. Deep splay to second stage. West front has 2 lancets with
clock above and between. Other sides have single lancet. Moulded cornice, taken
up as arch above clock. Steep bell-cast pyramidal roof with lead flashing and
decorated iron cross. South-east chapel has east window of paired lancets.
Single south lancet. Interior: arches of 2 chamfered orders without imposts
throughout. Chancel has arch to chapel. Segmental-pointed arch and stairway to
pulpit. Scissor-braced roof. Nave has scissor-braced roof with wall posts and
corbels. Chapel of 2 bays with arch between. Coupled rafter roofs, running
east-west in sanctuary, but north-south in outer bay. Piscina with trefoiled
lancet and moulded bowl. Fittings: finely carved and moulded Early English style
reredos and altar, with 2 reliefs and stiff-leaf capitals; altar has 4 shafts.
Pulpit in north-east corner of nave, entered from chancel, is of stone: 3 sides
of octagon, each panelled with quatrefoil with subsidiary cusps. Font of moulded
plaster has compound shaft and moulded frieze. Stained glass: complete set of
windows, attributed to Hardman (Pevsner). The presbytery is attached on the
south side. T-plan, with cross wing on right. 2 storeys; 2-window range. Lean-to
porch in angle has chamfered cambered arched doorway and plank door with
decorative iron hinges. Wing has paired lancets on ground floor. Paired
shouldered arched lights with cambered relieving arch on first floor. Blind
trefoil in gable. Main range has large external stack with 4 offsets and large,
deep blind arch; 2 chamfered squared shafts with moulded cornices, Lancet to
left on first floor. Right return side has lateral stack; shaft rebuilt in
brick, 2-storey, 2-window lean-to wing. To rear: wing has 2-light windows.
Lean-to range flush with front. The founder was Joseph Knight. Myers was A.W.N.
Pugin's builder. Pevsner questions whether he was the architect. (Buildings of
England: Warwickshire, p.80; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.26).


Listing NGR: SP4102149962

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.