History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter Ad Vincula

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ratley and Upton, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.123 / 52°7'22"N

Longitude: -1.4413 / 1°26'28"W

OS Eastings: 438345

OS Northings: 247334

OS Grid: SP383473

Mapcode National: GBR 6QL.VVB

Mapcode Global: VHBYB.YWWW

Entry Name: Church of St Peter Ad Vincula

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Last Amended: 8 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355550

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306240

Location: Ratley and Upton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX15

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Ratley and Upton

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Ratley St Peter ad Vincula

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Ratley

Listing Text

RATLEY AND UPTON RATLEY
SP34NE
3/117 Church of St. Peter Ad Vincula
30/05/67 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Peter and Vincula)
GV II*


Church. C12 chancel, C13 nave and tower, C14 south aisle and chapel and
alterations; C17 porch. Restored 1872. Nave, tower and porch of regular coursed
ironstone; chancel, aisle and chapel of squared coursed ironstone rubble.
Chancel roof of tiles, nave of slates, aisle of lead; nave and chancel have
coped gable parapets. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south chapel, north porch and
west tower. Decorated style. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Chancel has diagonal
buttresses with 2 offsets. Renewed 4-light window with curvilinear tracery.
North side has small chamfered priest's doorway with C19 plank door. 2-light
eastern window has curvilinear tracery. Small low western 2-light window has
reticulated tracery. South side has 3-light window of cusped intersecting
tracery. Hood moulds with return stops. Porch has chamfered and moulded
Tudor-arched doorway with hood mould. Stone benches inside. Decorated north
doorway has 2 major and 2 minor orders of roll moulding and deep hollow
chamfers. Hood mould with block stops. C19 double-leaf doors. 3 partly-restored
two-light north windows with ogee arches and hood moulds with return stops and
finials. Reticulated tracery; only the window west of porch is cusped. South
aisle and chapel in one. Diagonal and 2 south buttresses have 2 offsets. Splayed
plinth, missing in west bay and buttress, stepped down from tower halfway across
west end. East window of 2 trefoiled lights and uncusped mouchette wheel. Gable
to east end only. On south side 3-light eastern adn 2-light western windows have
reticulated tracery. Central Perpendicular window has panel tracery. 2-light
west window has trefoiled round arched lights and ogee within arch. Hood moulds
with return stops; central window has block and carved stops. Tower of very
large ironstone blocks with prominent pointing. 3 stages with taller square
north-west stair turret. Splayed plinth and string courses. Diagonal buttresses
with 4 offsets to second stage. West doorway of 2 chamfered orders with splayed
jambs and C19 double-leaf ribbed doors. Second stage has small 2-light west
window with renewed reticulated tracery. 2-light Perpendicular bell openings.
Remains of gargoyles. Moulded cornice and parapet. Interior plastered chancel
arch to chapel. Chancel arch, 3-bay nave arcade and chapel west arch are
similar, of 2 moulded and chamfered continuous orders without capitals or
imposts. Chancel has C20 roof. Nave has flat plaster ceiling. Aisle has 6-bay
Perpendicular roof with moulded tie beams. Chapel, now organ chamber, has
much-renewed ogee head piscina. Fittings: font has plain octagonal bowl,
possibly recut, on renewed stem. Pulpit, pews and altar rails, and encaustic
tile sanctuary floor of c.1872. Elaborate stone. Early English style reredos of
1875 has polished granite shafts. Stained glass: chancel north west c.1865.
Monuments: west wall has 2 panels of reset C16,C17 and early C18 inscription
brasses.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.146-7; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.382).


Listing NGR: SP3834547334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.