History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse at the Castle Inn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Radway, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1238 / 52°7'25"N

Longitude: -1.4555 / 1°27'19"W

OS Eastings: 437376

OS Northings: 247417

OS Grid: SP373474

Mapcode National: GBR 6QK.YML

Mapcode Global: VHBYB.QWD8

Entry Name: Gatehouse at the Castle Inn

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Last Amended: 8 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355560

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306190

Location: Radway, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX15

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Radway

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Radway St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Ratley

Listing Text

The Grade shall be amended to II*

In the entry for:-

SP34NE RADWAY EDGEHILL

3/79

Gatehouse at The Castle Inn
(formerly listed as Edge Hill
Tower)

GV


RADWAY EDGEHILL

SP34NE
3/79
07/01/52

Gatehouse at The Castle Inn
(Formerly listed as Edge Hill
Tower)

GV II


Gatehouse. Formerly attached to The Castle Inn. Designed by Sanderson Miller for
himself. c.1746-1747. Ironstone ashlar. Castellated Gothick style. 2 storeys,
with 3 storey turrets; front partly below road level and obscured by later
causeway across blocked archway; 3 bays. Square turret on left has
machicolations and moulded battlements. Small lancets, blind to front. Lower
truncated turret on right, probably originally similar, has single-pitch roof
sloping to right. Arched gateway between has plank door with shields above. To
rear: 2-storey recessed archway. Large stone bracket to each side formerly
supported a bridge to The Castle Inn (q.v). Central arched doorway to vaulted
chamber. Turrets have chamfered plinth. Blind cross slit windows. and lancets
above. Inner faces have arched doorways to ground and second floors. The gateway
formed part of the Castle, also known as Edgehill Tower.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, p.142; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.380;
R.B. Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region: 1963.
p.199).


Listing NGR: SP3737647417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.