This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1242 / 52°7'26"N
Longitude: -1.4029 / 1°24'10"W
OS Eastings: 440976
OS Northings: 247483
OS Grid: SP409474
Mapcode National: GBR 7RZ.S58
Mapcode Global: VHBYC.MWQ0
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Last Amended: 8 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306297
Location: Warmington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Warmington
Built-Up Area: Warmington (Stratford-on-Avon)
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warmington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
WARMINGTON CHURCH HILL
SP4047 (South side)
9/186 Church of St. Michael
30/05/67 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Michael or St. Nicholas)
Church. C12 nave; late C13 south aisle, early/mid C14 north aisle, chancel,
vestry and priest's room; C14 and C15 tower. Regular coursed ironstone. Tile
roofs with coped gable parapets; nave and aisles have moulded parapets. Aisled
nave, chancel, west tower, north and south porches, north vestry and priest's
room. Decorated style. 3-bay nave and aisles, 3-bay chancel. Chancel has plinth
and sill courses, splayed to east, moulded to south. Buttresses with offsets.
Renewed 4-light east window has Decorated tracery and old hood mould with
fragments of head stops. Hood moulds throughout. Tracery largely renewed. South
side has ogee-arched priest door of 2 moulded orders. 2 eastern square-headed
windows of cinqfoiled round-arched lights with sunk spandrels. Narrow 2-light
square-headed western window has reticulated tracery. Hood moulds. Main entrance
on south side. South porch has diagonal buttresses. Arch of 2 hollow-chamfered
and moulded orders. Stone benches inside. Fine late c13 Decorated south doorway
of many orders of hollow chamfers, roll mouldings and fillets, C19 studded door
has old strap hinges. South aisle has diagonal buttress. East end has splayed
plinth. 3-light east window has bar tracery of 3 circles. South side has 2-light
eastern window similar to those of chancel, but with roll-moulded mullions.
2-light western window has cusped Y-tracery. 3-light west window has Geometric
tracery with roll-moulded tracery. North porch has diagonal buttresses. Doorway
of 2 chamfered orders. North doorway of 2 moulded orders with C19 plank door.
North aisle has splayed plinth to east. East angle and west diagonal buttresses.
3-light east window has 2 lancets and wider shorter lancet and starred circle.
North side has 2 ogee-arched 2-light eastern windows with curvilinear tracery.
Western window has Y-tracery. 3 west window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights. 2-storey
vestry and priest's room has splayed plinth, stepped down on north side. North
buttresses rise into crocketed pinnacles flanking north gable. East side has
barred moulded square window, possibly formerly mullioned, and 2-light window
above. North side has similar square window. First floor has 2-light Decorated
window with blind tracery. North-west re-entrant angle has stair projection.
Tower of 3 stages. Double-splayed plinth and string courses continued across
diagonal buttresses to 2 stages. West door has 2 chamfered and moulded orders.
C19 ribbed door. Decorated west window of 2 trefoiled lights. 2-light
Perpendicular bell openings have old stone louvres. Cornice and parapet.
Interior: chancel is plastered. Largely renewed piscina has wide trefoiled ogee
arch and triangular shafts with battlements and pinnacles. 3 heavily restored
sedilia have cinqfoiled crocketed ogee arches and triangular detached shafts
with carved heads, battlements and pinnacles; gables to left and right. Ogee
north doorway of 3 moulded orders, and hood mould. C16/C17 latticed back plank
door. Small ogee lancet to priest's chamber has old iron grille and board
shutter. C19 arched braced roof with carved heads and stone corbels, ashlar
posts and moulded wallplates C13. Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders with central
fillet. Simple moulded impost and low responds. Nave has 3-bay arcades. East
bays similar to chancel arch. The other bays are Transitional with circular
piers and responds, and scalloped capitals. The north arcade has square
unmoulded arches with square hood mould. and low square pedestals. The south
arcade has slightly chamfered arches, much larger and deeper capitals and
roll-moulded bases on high square pedestals. C19 wagon roof with ashlar posts.
Tower built a little way into nave. Very tall tower arch of 2 chamfered orders,
the outer segmental-pointed, the inner dying into the wall. South aisle has
upper 4-centred east doorway and steps to former rood loft. Aisles have C19
wagon roofs. Vestry has east piscina with trefoiled ogee head and hood mould.
Stone winder stairs to priest's chamber, with old lattice-backed plank doors at
top and bottom. Priest's room has plain square-headed former fireplace. Mid/late
C19 two-bay barrel arched braced roof. Fittings: front possibly C13. Cylindrical
bowl with roll moulding and square roll-moulded stem. Lower part of C15 oak
screen has moulded martins and traceried panels. Pulpit of 1871. Pews, altar
rails, and encaustic tile sanctuary floor of c.1870. Stained glass: east window
1870; chancel south east and central windows c.1889 and 1890. Nave and aisles
floor raised late C20.
(V.C.H. Warwickshire; Vol.5, pp.184-7; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP4097347484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings