History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Darlingscott Farmhouse and Attached Coach House and Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tredington, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0772 / 52°4'38"N

Longitude: -1.6619 / 1°39'42"W

OS Eastings: 423266

OS Northings: 242150

OS Grid: SP232421

Mapcode National: GBR 5PK.LNM

Mapcode Global: VHBYM.41RX

Entry Name: Darlingscott Farmhouse and Attached Coach House and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 16 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355646

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306632

Location: Tredington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Tredington

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Tredington St Gregory

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Ilmington

Listing Text

TREDINGTON DARLINGSCOTT
SP2342
13/245 Darlingscott Farmhouse and
13/10/66 attached coach house and
outbuildings
(Formerly listed as
Darlingscote Farmhouse)

GV II*

Farmhouse. Early C17, with early C18 alterations. Squared, coursed lias with
ashlar windows, quoins, coped gables and C18 string course. Slate roof with
ashlar ridge and -end stacks and bases, one with 2 flues. 2 storeys plus attic;
4-window range. L-shaped plan. To centre left a C18 two-panelled door set a
little back from original position, the original hinges remaining. Wood sill.
Early C18 doorway with chamfered surround and mullioned overlight above.
Datestone with hood mould above is inscribed 'WBM/1716'. Range of 3 four-light
mullioned windows with single transoms. 3 windows have single casements. Four
C19 slate hung dormers. Above door to right a sundial. To rear ground floor left
a 4-light mullioned window, with king mullion. To right a 3-light part-blocked
mullioned window with a quarry of heraldic stained glass. To first floor 2
three-light mullioned windows. To right facade ground floor a 4-light
ovolo-moulded mullioned window. 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window above.
Windows to right facade and rear have hood moulds with label stops. C20
one-storey lean-to to rear. To left of house a C19 coach house with living
accommodation above, now converted to flat. Further outbuildings, now
residential units, to left. Interior: to right of lobby a room with chamfered
spine beam with arrow shaped stepped stop. Large open fireplace with chamfered
stone surround and chamfered timber bressumer with stops. Blocked bread oven,
and salt cupboard with ogee head. Room to left of passage has chamfered spine
beam with partition mortices. In corner an ashlar, ovolo-moulded fireplace with
4-centred, moulded lintels. Some stone flagged floors. In lobby a C18 winder
staircase with bobbin balusters, rising to attics. First floor has a further
ashlar, ovolo-moulded and 4-centred arched fireplace. Further chamfered and
stopped spine beams. Main range divided from wing by timber and plaster
partition on both floors. Stick baluster staircase in wing. Throughout house C18
two panelled doors, those to main rooms with moulded rails. Blocked inglenook in
kitchen, the timber bressumer remaining. History: heraldic quarry in main living
room window shows probably the arms of Thomas Overbury who was born in Ilmington
in 1581 and was an associate of Robert Carr. He was knighted in 1603, but was
later imprisoned in Tower of London, where he was poisoned to death. It is
believed this house was built by Overbury.


Listing NGR: SP2326642150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.